Under Community Review

Make Trados work with Dragon

Very surprised to find out that memoQ has full compatibility with Dragon, including correcting text by speech commands directly in the memoQ segments, whereas Dragon Professionally Anywhere can't even dictate into segments in Trados because something seems blocked.

How can the Trados developers have missed this? I need to use full Dragon functionality (with direct correcting, not only dictation), and since memoQ is completely compatible and Trados is not even the slightest, I may have to switch completely to memoQ unless you make Trados compatible. Been using Trados for years and would like to contnue, so I hope you keep up with memoQ on this one and make Trados just as compatible as memoQ is. I am in the process of implementing DPA and need all the functionality, so if this isn't up to par with what memoQ offers soon unfortunately you'll loose a customer!

Parents
  • There has been no change in the capabilities here for a long time and it's because the underlying technology used by the current Trados editor is seen as an unsupported application by Dragon.  However, you can dictate normal text, and use punctuation, opening different types of brackets etc. all via voice.  Some simple commands often work but it is inconsistent.

memoQ have not done anything special to ensure compatibility, they just use a technology in their editor as they were developed later than Trados Studio, that is supported.  So they get better out of the box functionality.

In Trados Studio you have to use the dragon dictation box if you want full voice command support.  But I turn it off and can dictate quite comfortably in Trados Studio.  I also find it faster to use a combination of voice and keyboard anyway:

Screenshot of Dragon Options menu highlighting 'Use the Dictation Box for unsupported applications' with a red arrow pointing to the checkbox.

A good person to speak to about working with Dragon in Studio is as she also uses other tools that work alongside Dragon to get a lot more including function support which you won't get in memoQ out of the box either.  So it's certainly not black and white here!

Comment
  • There has been no change in the capabilities here for a long time and it's because the underlying technology used by the current Trados editor is seen as an unsupported application by Dragon.  However, you can dictate normal text, and use punctuation, opening different types of brackets etc. all via voice.  Some simple commands often work but it is inconsistent.

memoQ have not done anything special to ensure compatibility, they just use a technology in their editor as they were developed later than Trados Studio, that is supported.  So they get better out of the box functionality.

In Trados Studio you have to use the dragon dictation box if you want full voice command support.  But I turn it off and can dictate quite comfortably in Trados Studio.  I also find it faster to use a combination of voice and keyboard anyway:

Screenshot of Dragon Options menu highlighting 'Use the Dictation Box for unsupported applications' with a red arrow pointing to the checkbox.

A good person to speak to about working with Dragon in Studio is as she also uses other tools that work alongside Dragon to get a lot more including function support which you won't get in memoQ out of the box either.  So it's certainly not black and white here!

Children
  • Thank you for your reply, Paul!

Appreciate the tips. At the moment I have to use the Professional Anywhere version of Dragon, which unfortunately doesn't seem to even dictate into Studio (2022) segments. No text gets written when I try to dictate into segments (but oddly enough it works in the search box and filter box in Studio). So it seems segments are not recognized as input fields.

I would prefer to be able to keep on working in Studio, but at the moment can't even use the dictate function and no idea if it can even somehow be fixed. I also especially want to be able to use the "Correct" command, and that seems to work fine in memoQ. But as yourself I'd probably use the dictation in Studio sometimes regardless – if it worked!

• Hi , I have not used the Professional Anywhere version of Dragon which looks like their top of the range cloud solution.  I have Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium version 13.0 so pretty old, but to be honest I don't like cloud solutions for personal use!  I think it'll be interesting to see if anyone else has any experience with this version.  Certainly this is the first time I have heard anyone make this claim you posted here and I do know a lot of Dragon users in Trados Studio.

• Thanks, Paul! I am forced to use the cloud version due to my work situation, so I have to make it work. I really hope Studio can be updated with new technology for full compatibility with Dragon. There are many blogs / forum posts out there describing how Dragon works better with memoQ (in my case it worked instantly with all the commands I needed). So I'd imagine it would be a good investment to update the Studio technology to keep and get new customers.