Under Community Review

Making it easier to use language variants

Hi team,

would it be possible to add Russian (Latvia) in the language list?

Ultimately, would it be possible to find a way to make it easier to use language variants that are not part of the MS LCID? For example, clients are requesting Russian (Israel) and Russian (Latvia) among other languages that are not available at the moment. It is not possible to directly use these variants, we need to use another Russian variant as a workaround, which is not ideal in terms of management.

Would it be possible to create separate lists for the languages and the countries with existing ISO 2-letter codes so that we could select Russian on one side and Latvia on the other side to have the expected language code? Since the 4-letter language codes consist of 2 distinct information, it should be doable. From MS directly: "The name of a culture consists of its [ISO-639] language code, its [ISO-3166] country/region code, and an optional [ISO-15924] script tag for the written language.".

I think a large number of people would benefit from this way of creating language codes.

Best,

Chris

Parents
  • This is a great idea! I'm absolutely sure it would be useful and more user-friendly for everyone. I think new Trados Studio users would benefit the most out of a feature like this, as getting your head around the ISO language codes takes some time when you're starting out. Please seriously consider making this happen!

Comment
  • This is a great idea! I'm absolutely sure it would be useful and more user-friendly for everyone. I think new Trados Studio users would benefit the most out of a feature like this, as getting your head around the ISO language codes takes some time when you're starting out. Please seriously consider making this happen!

Children
No Data