Under Community Review

Source file System field in SDLTMs

Hi,

Creating a new idea just for the Source file System field in Studio.

Please do consider having a Source file system field in SDLTMs which capture at least the file where that segment was first created. Filepath and name would be ideal but filename is already better. It's a very useful piece of information which is available in the TMX file but not visible in the SDLTM format.

There was a recommendation in a previous post to use the Record source plug-in for it but this is key functionality that is missing in Studio. Besides, the suggestion of a plug-in will not do much, as that is not something that can be deployed in TMS TMs.

Thank you once again for considering this enhancement.

Kind regards,

Miriam

Parents
  • I totally agree and raised a similar concern with the SDL Support team and this is the response I received.

"One thing that you can do is to add Fields to your TMs. Then you can choose values for each of those Fields in each of the projects. So for example you could have the project name in there. The value you set will be recorded in the TM and you can later use it to find out where a certain segment came from.

To add fields in a TM you need to go to the TM Settings from the Translation Memories view and then in the Project Settings under Translation Memories and Automated Translation you have the section "Update" - the fields you added will appear there."

I have been doing this as a workaround, but it does take a little extra time and would be nice to just have as a built-in feature.

Comment
  • I totally agree and raised a similar concern with the SDL Support team and this is the response I received.

"One thing that you can do is to add Fields to your TMs. Then you can choose values for each of those Fields in each of the projects. So for example you could have the project name in there. The value you set will be recorded in the TM and you can later use it to find out where a certain segment came from.

To add fields in a TM you need to go to the TM Settings from the Translation Memories view and then in the Project Settings under Translation Memories and Automated Translation you have the section "Update" - the fields you added will appear there."

I have been doing this as a workaround, but it does take a little extra time and would be nice to just have as a built-in feature.

Children
No Data