Under Community Review

Translate EPS Files in Trados Studio or Trados Teams

We are currently using SysFilter to process the translation of EPS image files. But recently SysFilter has become very sluggish and relies on us having a separate tool, process, and licenses. It would be great just to add the EPS files to Trados Studio as a translatable file and translate as any other file type. It is possible, as I recently saw a solution in XTM that worked extremely well. This would be a real benefit for many users. I'm sure we'd even pay for it, if it was fully integrated.

I know there are other threads on this topic, but they are quite old. I just wanted to draw attention to this need once more.

Please vote on this idea, if you think you would benefit from it.

Regards,

Robert

Parents
  • Hi Robert, thanks for the submission. It seems difficult/impossible to roundtrip EPS and get EPS out at the end - would it be acceptable to go to a different output format such as EMF/WMF, for example? (Similar to what we do with PDF where we go to .docx and roundtrip .docx)? Just wondering about the limitations of the underlying file format. Thanks, Daniel

• Hi Daniel, we use EPS as our master image file in Illustrator and then generate the required image formats from the EPS. So using a different format is not really desired. Are you sure it is really impossible? We recently evaluated XTM and EPS round tripping was out of the box. And it worked great. Of course, I don't know what was working in the background, but it was so simple. And I didn't have any additional special licenses or even Illustrator installed on my computer. Thanks, Robert

Comment
  • Hi Daniel, we use EPS as our master image file in Illustrator and then generate the required image formats from the EPS. So using a different format is not really desired. Are you sure it is really impossible? We recently evaluated XTM and EPS round tripping was out of the box. And it worked great. Of course, I don't know what was working in the background, but it was so simple. And I didn't have any additional special licenses or even Illustrator installed on my computer. Thanks, Robert

Children
  • Thanks a lot, Robert - I am tagging   here for potential follow up. As far as I know, the third party library that we use for file type conversion supports EPS but only as input and not output format. We will see what we can do. BTW, a comparable (and hopefully better Slight smile) cloud solution on our end is Trados Accelerate or Trados Enterprise (going beyond just Studio to provide translation management capabilities) - just sayin' :) and we can definitely catch up next time we meet, perhaps at ETUG in September? Thanks, Daniel