Under Community Review

White Space Consistency in Studio

I have noticed a peculiar behavior in Trados Studio.

When you double click a word in a segment (source or target), Studio will normally highlight the word + the white space just after the word, if any.

However, if you mark the last word in a line, Studio will never mark the white space just after the word.

I think it would be better if Studio is consistent in order to avoid double white space in translations.

I guess many translators happen to accidentally make double white spaces because of this.

Parents
  • For what it's worth, I have been complaining about this infuriating behaviour (selecting the space after a word, when you only want to select the word) since about the dawn of Microsoft Windows. My understanding is that this behaviour has been replicated in many programs because they simply use the Windows API to provide the "select" functionality, and the original developers of Windows saw this as a feature, rather than an infuriating and time-wasting bug. Those programs that don't do this tend to have been ported over from the non-Windows world. I agree that it would be nice if this behaviour could be eliminated, so that only the word is selected.

Comment
  • For what it's worth, I have been complaining about this infuriating behaviour (selecting the space after a word, when you only want to select the word) since about the dawn of Microsoft Windows. My understanding is that this behaviour has been replicated in many programs because they simply use the Windows API to provide the "select" functionality, and the original developers of Windows saw this as a feature, rather than an infuriating and time-wasting bug. Those programs that don't do this tend to have been ported over from the non-Windows world. I agree that it would be nice if this behaviour could be eliminated, so that only the word is selected.

Children
No Data