XPPWS Tomcat init.d startup script (RHEL 5) to systemd startup (RHEL 7)

RWS front-line support has told me that a Linux startup script (i.e. in /etc/init.d for older versions of Red Hat EL) was never something that was included/delivered with XPPWS Tomcat.

Why do I have one? I didn't invent this; it was delivered, probably around 10-11 years ago on Red Hat EL 5.3 with XPP 8.something and XPPWS 1.2. I did personally tweak it to work on a newer Red  Hat server (EL 5.5?) with XPPWS 1.3, maybe 6 years ago. 

I am seeking an updated one to work with Red Hat EL 7.x (where init.d is obsolete and everything is now a service under systemd/systemctl). We've *almost* got it figured out all on our own, but I thought I'd ask support about a current systemd startup on reboot. So I was surprised to get the, "nope, never delivered anything like that." 

What say you, XPP hive mind?

Old server:

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S81SDL_License -> ../init.d/SDL_License
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S90xyenterprise -> ../init.d/xyenterprise
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S92xppws -> ../init.d/xppws
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/s99contenta -> ../init.d/contenta

Parents
  • Jay, in no way at all was it wrong for you to open a support ticket.  Grinning

When I said that "this really isn't the proper forum for this", I only meant that (I felt) it was perhaps more appropriate to keep following up with some part of your support questions using your ticket.

But on the other hand, it was definitely appropriate to to ask here because at some level you were asking for help in converting an init.d type of startup script into a systemd/systemctl type of startup file, which as I said is something we are just learning how to do ourselves in development and (AFAIK) support hasn't had any experience with this either.

And once you raised your questions in this forum, I did feel there could be some value to others with the information that I provided and so I did.

As far as your question about the new install on RHEL 7 apparently lacking the deliver of any init.d type startup script, I cannot really say much as most of the "installers" are not within my area of experience. I do see that at some point the installer for the SOAP-based XPP WS product changed from an "old" method to using InstallAnywhere. Perhaps something got "lost in the translation", and if so we're sorry about that. In any case, as I've mentioned this is now a retired product and so we'll have to keep working together via tickets and this forum to get you to a resolution since there won't be any product/installer updates.

Reply Children
No Data