I'm happy to announce that Language Weaver Edge 8.6 has been released and is now available from our download servers.
- Support for Auto Adaptive LPs
- Auto Adaptive LPs can be managed from the "Adaptation" tab, under "Auto Adaptation". The "Adaptation" tab was previously named "Adapted LPs". We still support manual adaptation of Language Pairs where you can define a specific name, provide a training data set and test set, and this option is now available under "Manual Adaptation".
- Support for Ampere GPUs
- We now support the Nvidia Ampere GPUs (A series). They can be used for Translation and model Adaptation.
- Support for Language Pair Adaptation on CPU (Windows & Linux)
- Language Pairs model adaptation is now available on CPU only. If you don't have a GPU, you can still adapt the Language Weaver models by enabling a training engine on a worker with CPU only
- The adaptation based on a training performed on CPU provides identical output as if the training was performed on GPU, but it is slower. While a training on GPU can take between 1 and 5 hours, a training on CPU will take between 1 and 5 days, depending on the size of the training data available.
- The current hardware requirements are 4 CPU cores and 32 GB of RAM available per training engine. Multiple training engines can run in parallel on the same machine, as long as there is enough capacity available.
- Support for Brands with Regular Expression
- It is now possible to define Brands in Language Weaver Edge.
- Brands are collections of proper nouns, product names, or specific terms which appear in the source content but should remain untouched. The brands are then preserved in a consistent manner throughout the translations that users perform. Brands are not language-pair specific, which means that brands are applied across all language pairs in Language Weaver Edge.
- Brands support regular expressions so you can define a search pattern to identify specific patterns in the source and make sure it is not modified during the translation process.
- Brands can be managed by Admins, under "Manage/Settings/Brands".
- Brands can be exported and imported and it is possible to disable or enable specific brands.
- Support for New Columns in the Translation Queue
- New columns are available to customize the Translation Queue and display the information which is relevant to you.
- New information available includes: Translation ID, Start Date, End Date, Duration (seconds), Input Size, Source Chat Count, Source Word Count, Target Chart Count, Target Word Count and Words per minute.
- New highlight capabilities in the Translate UI
- It is now possible to highlight Dictionary, Brand and Feedback in the translation output. By using different color coded highlight, it becomes easy to identify if part or all of the translation output is coming from a specific adaptation capability (dictionary, brand or feedback).
- Add option to export Translation Records.
- Display oldest and latest timestamp of results and filter by language pair type.
- Support for Linguistic options for selected LPs: if a Language Pair has support for Linguistics options, such as Formality level or Spelling, it is now possible to defined the option in the Translation Settings pane or in the API Translation request.
- Support for MHTML input format translation
- Add Label management options in Manage→Settings→Translation→Labels to allow admins to require translations to be labelled, or to hide the label option in the UI.
- Improved space preservation between the source and translate text.
- For Microsoft Office translated documents, override the fonts to better match the target language; e.g. a document translated from English→Hindi will use the Nirmala font instead of Calibri.
- Language detection accuracy improved for short segments.
- Feedback import would fail when adding 1000 or more entries; this restriction has been removed.
- On the Dictionary page, multiple selected dictionaries would cause the download and deletion action to invalidly use wildcard matching when selecting the items.
- Do not require a restart of the Edge service after Chained LPs are enabled for translation using them to work.
- Properly report the Prometheus metric "mte_translation_engine_filled_pus".
- Remove style formatting from text copied from the Target panel of the Translate Page.
- Allow submission of translation jobs when Job or Translation Engines are temporarily offline within a 5-minute window (e.g. when they're restarting).
- Consolidate the Deployed/Deploying/Undeploying adapted LP states with "Ready to Deploy".
- Invalidate the password reset link after it has been used to reset the password once.
- Move Edge version information from page footer to new Manage→Settings→About page for easier access.
- Fix calendar selector widget display for Arabic localization.
- Order the list of returned LPs in the language-pairs API call by priority: Generic, Adapted, Custom, Edge Cloud, Chained
- Commas in the filename no longer cause the download filename to be truncated.
- Disable coredump generation in the systemd service to avoid potentially filling the disk drive with core fails on error.
- Add a privileged command-line parameter, --admin-api-key, to the ets-api-gateway binary to allow resetting user's API keys.
- In the My Accounts page, display the Public URL (if defined in Manage→Settings→General), in the API Base URL.
- Remove REST API restriction preventing adding a dictionary unless an associated Language Pair has been installed.
- When uploading files on the Translate page, properly indicate the maximum file size limit in the error message.
The documentation has been updated and is available at https://docs.rws.com/1023926/396549/language-weaver-edge-documentation/welcome-to-the-------------language-weaver-edge-------------8-6-documentation
Upgrade from previous 8.x releases is fully supported. In order to run Language Weaver Edge 8.6, a new license will be required. The Language Weaver support team can already generate licenses based on your current entitlement profile (myhosts.json) so feel free to submit a request to get your license generated and plan your upgrade safely.
We hope you'll enjoy this new release.