Export/Import from Dashboard/Translation Jobs does not always work

Hi Eugene!

I tried the Export/Import function from the Translation Jobs table and I realised that it does not work correctly if the Job Number changes.

In my particular case, I created a job with quite a complex job task structure.

That job was then put on hold. Since I did not want to see it constantly in the Translation Job List, I exported it to an excel file to keep it out of sight, but still have it handy.

Later that job was approved and I wanted to reimport it into TBM but the Job Tasks pane was totally empty.

Screenshot of Trados Studio's Translation Jobs table with an empty Job Tasks pane, indicating a failed import with no tasks listed.

I then tried to export and import a few more times, and it seems to me that exporting and importing immediately works, but exporting, creating new job numbers and importing does not.

It’s not a function that I plan to use often but in this case it would have been really nice to have.

Since all the info was in the Excel file, I rebuilt the Job Task list by hand.

Cheers

Lorenzo

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 5:34 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the explanation.

Using your explanation, the import does work!

However, I just discovered that when I was trying to import the file, I imported the wrong job tasks to the wrong job.

In my case the translation job cell of each task was 1291/18/06/2020, and TBM imported those tasks to job 1291.

I like the export/import function because it would allow a user to keep templates, or to put away for later jobs "waiting for approval" without them showing up in the list, or to exchange jobs with others, but this issue of the tasks being applied to the wrong job is dangerous.

It would be nice if TBM could just recreate it automatically

Thanks for the clarification

Lorenzo

• Hello, Lorenzo,

Agree that it could lead to unexpected results or broken data. But it's not easy to implement some protections (like in your example with importing tasks into a wrong job), for 2 following reasons:

1. Excel file may contain data about many jobs, and Tasks part could contain many tasks linked with different jobs. So, it's not possible to programmatically re-create a link.

2. This functionality is universal, and works in the same manner for all tables in TBM.

So, to create a template, and then use it when needed, it's better to clear sensitive values and then fill them before importing.

Just thoughts, maybe possible to find some solution...

• Hello, Lorenzo,

Agree that it could lead to unexpected results or broken data. But it's not easy to implement some protections (like in your example with importing tasks into a wrong job), for 2 following reasons:

1. Excel file may contain data about many jobs, and Tasks part could contain many tasks linked with different jobs. So, it's not possible to programmatically re-create a link.

2. This functionality is universal, and works in the same manner for all tables in TBM.

So, to create a template, and then use it when needed, it's better to clear sensitive values and then fill them before importing.

Just thoughts, maybe possible to find some solution...

Children
No Data