translating Wordpress wpml files with SDL Studio

I have a client who designs websites. He'd like my help to translate his Wordpress sites. I found a page on Wordpress that discusses this: https://wpml.org/translation-service/sdl-language-cloud/ and I'm curious t know if anyone has tried this and if results were successful. Thanks for any feedback.

Sonia

emoji
Parents
  • Dear  ,

I saw this post in my alerts - I have been translating content from our WordPress website since 2016 - and it uses WPML to handle content (in our case in German and English). My experience from the last 7 years has been as follows:

The exported .xliff files by WPML have been full of extra (unnecessary?) tags.

I have instead usually copied posts or pages from the code view in the backend of WordPress and saved them as .html files. I have used a number of regexes to ensure that certain shortcodes (insertions into the code view in square brackets) are converted into tags, and/or that only certain parts are translated. 

Recently with our site moving over to Gutenberg blocks (having previously used the classic view) I have encountered a lot of problems with blocks that use unicode character renderings. I really struggled to find a surefire way to convert them quickly (other than a macro in Notepad++) to allow me to translate them and handle formatting in one go.

A useful thread (or I found it useful!)

(+) Translating an WordPress website in Trados Studio - 2. Trados Studio - Trados Studio - RWS Community

Hope this might help!

Michael

emoji
  • Dear  ,

I saw this post in my alerts - I have been translating content from our WordPress website since 2016 - and it uses WPML to handle content (in our case in German and English). My experience from the last 7 years has been as follows:

The exported .xliff files by WPML have been full of extra (unnecessary?) tags.

I have instead usually copied posts or pages from the code view in the backend of WordPress and saved them as .html files. I have used a number of regexes to ensure that certain shortcodes (insertions into the code view in square brackets) are converted into tags, and/or that only certain parts are translated. 

Recently with our site moving over to Gutenberg blocks (having previously used the classic view) I have encountered a lot of problems with blocks that use unicode character renderings. I really struggled to find a surefire way to convert them quickly (other than a macro in Notepad++) to allow me to translate them and handle formatting in one go.

A useful thread (or I found it useful!)

(+) Translating an WordPress website in Trados Studio - 2. Trados Studio - Trados Studio - RWS Community

Hope this might help!

Michael

emoji
Children