Datatype for MS Excel

Hello,

is it possible to edit the datatype for MS Excel and have it segment per cell, even if there is a full stop in the segment. We have data, that has crazy abbreviations, and Studio of course starts a new segment after each abbreviation followed by a full stop. The abbreviations are too many and too crazy to add them to the abbreviation list. 

Thanks for your help :-)

emoji
Parents
  •  

Can you provide a small sample file?  I created one to test and don't get much of a problem:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing text with segmentation issues, specifically with the abbreviation S.M.A.R.T. causing a new segment to start mid-sentence.

Only S.M.A.R.T. caused an issue.  So I can solve this two ways:

Way #1:

Add it to my abbreviations list:

Screenshot of Trados Studio's 'Abbreviations' settings window with S.M.A.R.T. added to the list to prevent segmentation issues.

Now I see this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing corrected text segmentation after adding S.M.A.R.T. to the abbreviations list.

Way #2

Change my segmentation rules so that I have paragraph segmentation:

Screenshot of Trados Studio's 'Segmentation Rules' settings window with 'Paragraph based segmentation' selected to change how text is segmented.

If you use this one it might be a good idea to create a new TM and add this above the one you actually use so it's at the top of list.  This way the segmentation will be taken from this TM without you having to lose all the rules you have on the one you translate with.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:57 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  •  

Can you provide a small sample file?  I created one to test and don't get much of a problem:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing text with segmentation issues, specifically with the abbreviation S.M.A.R.T. causing a new segment to start mid-sentence.

Only S.M.A.R.T. caused an issue.  So I can solve this two ways:

Way #1:

Add it to my abbreviations list:

Screenshot of Trados Studio's 'Abbreviations' settings window with S.M.A.R.T. added to the list to prevent segmentation issues.

Now I see this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing corrected text segmentation after adding S.M.A.R.T. to the abbreviations list.

Way #2

Change my segmentation rules so that I have paragraph segmentation:

Screenshot of Trados Studio's 'Segmentation Rules' settings window with 'Paragraph based segmentation' selected to change how text is segmented.

If you use this one it might be a good idea to create a new TM and add this above the one you actually use so it's at the top of list.  This way the segmentation will be taken from this TM without you having to lose all the rules you have on the one you translate with.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:57 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
Children
No Data