Export problems because of DITA version

Hello,

we are facing problem with project export. It wasnt possible at all from the beginning. After the update it works, but it takes many tries.
We were using Trados Studio 2017 before with no problem at all. This problem started with Trados Studio 2022 Professional Network.

Error message is: Filter definition ´XML: DITA 1.1 v 1.2.0.0´ not found or could not be used to construct a generator.

I heard, that Trados 2022 works only with DITA 1.3 internally. It means, that all files are translated into version 1.3 during import and it is translated back to the original version during export.
I also heard, that it was possible in Trados 2021 to turn of some filters, so it didnt translate documents into DITA version 1.2 during import.
I dont see such a filters in Trados 2022. There is just one (XML 2: OASIS DITA 1.3 Compliant)

I dont have enough knowledge, about this software, im just basic user, so I dont know, what to do with that.

I dont know, how to setup filters (there are too many options), or if i can download some for DITA 1.1.
I tried to export filter from Trados 2017, but it was 1kB file, so export clearly failed.

Maybe there is different problem than filters.

I will be grateful for any advice.

emoji
Parents
  • Hi  

The reason why you are getting this issue is because you initiated a project in 1 version of Trados Studio (2017) and you are completing it in another (Trados Studio 2022).
    In summary you are generating the target files using a version different that was used creating the project and typically this is something we recommend users avoid.

I believe you correctly identified the dependency Trados Studio 2022 is needing is the file type and in your case its XML: DITA 1.1 v 1.2.0.0
    I can confirm that Trados Studio 2022 does not support ´XML: DITA 1.1 v 1.2.0.0, see here hence Trados Studio 2022 does not know what to do.

My recommendation would be:

1. To save the progress you made in Trados Studio 2022 and generate target files back in the original Trados Studio 2017 version. 
    Are you simply opening the project directly between versions or as you using things like packages?

2. Recreate your file type setting in Trados Studio 2022.
    Even if you could export successfully, as of Trados Studio 2021 XML: DITA 1.1 v 1.2.0.0 was being phased out in favour for XML: DITA 1.3 v 2.0.0.0
    This limits the option to simply export/import

I note you say 

I dont know, how to setup filters (there are too many options),

However I trust you still have access to your Trados Studio (2017) and with Trados Studio 2022 working side by side, you can go throughout the options and reconfigure.
    May also be worth exploring if all your custom options are still required as the nature of the files (or how we process things) have changed and simplified.

Documentation can be found here 

If you feel we can help further, do let us know

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi  

The reason why you are getting this issue is because you initiated a project in 1 version of Trados Studio (2017) and you are completing it in another (Trados Studio 2022).
    In summary you are generating the target files using a version different that was used creating the project and typically this is something we recommend users avoid.

I believe you correctly identified the dependency Trados Studio 2022 is needing is the file type and in your case its XML: DITA 1.1 v 1.2.0.0
    I can confirm that Trados Studio 2022 does not support ´XML: DITA 1.1 v 1.2.0.0, see here hence Trados Studio 2022 does not know what to do.

My recommendation would be:

1. To save the progress you made in Trados Studio 2022 and generate target files back in the original Trados Studio 2017 version. 
    Are you simply opening the project directly between versions or as you using things like packages?

2. Recreate your file type setting in Trados Studio 2022.
    Even if you could export successfully, as of Trados Studio 2021 XML: DITA 1.1 v 1.2.0.0 was being phased out in favour for XML: DITA 1.3 v 2.0.0.0
    This limits the option to simply export/import

I note you say 

I dont know, how to setup filters (there are too many options),

However I trust you still have access to your Trados Studio (2017) and with Trados Studio 2022 working side by side, you can go throughout the options and reconfigure.
    May also be worth exploring if all your custom options are still required as the nature of the files (or how we process things) have changed and simplified.

Documentation can be found here 

If you feel we can help further, do let us know

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children
No Data