Dreaded Object reference not set to an instant of an object Error Message

I thought this error message had been dealt with a long time ago, and indeed it hardly featured for me in Studio 2021, but ever since getting Studio 2022 a few days ago and starting to work with that it crops up every time I change file view in the editor mode or open a new file etc. you name it. I tried all the suggested/discussed solutions ("reset window layout" etc), but alas no luck. So far no issues with saving target language files, although to be fair I have not translated any complex Excel or Power Pint files yet in Studio 2022, but considering that I invested money on a product that compared to its predecessor does not offer many value-adds from what I can see this kind of error is very jarring. Any suggestions would be very welcome indeed. Thanks!

emoji
Parents
  • This specific error message will "never" be dealt with.  The reason for this is that it's a generic message coming from your computer because something in the software is being referred to that no longer exists.  This could be because it has been deleted, or it may never have been there in the first place.  What these things are that the message refers to could be anything.  They are not one thing that can be fixed and then you'll never see the message again.

When you get a message like this it's far more helpful if you attach the full message by saving the error to your desktop as an xml file (you can click the small disk symbol in the message to do this) and then adding it to your post.  Then we might even be able to tell you why it happened and what you can do about it.  Not always, but it may help.

Why you are getting this message when you change file view I don't know.  Maybe can offer some advice on this?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • It is just weird that the problem does not crop up in Studio 2021 for me on working with the exact same files, and in Studio 2022 it crops up almost all the time. Downgrading again is kind of pointless, because a) I spent money and b) in Studio 2021 and 2019 I never got the term recognition to work properly, another issue never satisfactorily resolved for many users. Also, you yourself in a post more than 5 years ago said it was a common problem that should have been dealt with long ago, but keeps cropping up, although in SDLX or TagEditor this problem never occurred. Which leads me to assume it is software specific to SDL Studio itself (see https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/13981/object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object), unless I am misunderstanding something. Below the error message for Studio 2022 in full. The operating system is Windows 10. Thanks!

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<SDLErrorDetails time="21/06/2022 08:51:50">

<ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>

-<Exception>

<Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>

<HelpLink/>

<Source>Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers</Source>

<HResult>-2147467261</HResult>

-<StackTrace>

-<![CDATA[ at Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers.LanguageDirectionHelper.GetCascadeSettings(ILanguageDirection languageDirection)
    at Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers.LanguageDirectionHelper.CreateCascade(ILanguageDirection languageDirection, ProjectCascadeEntryDataFilterFunction filter, IComparer`1 sort, Boolean readOnly, Boolean refreshCache)
    at Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers.LanguageObjectsCache.GetLanguageResources(ILanguageDirection languageDirection)
    at Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers.LanguageObjectsCache.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<GetLanguageResources>b__0(String _)
    at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory)
    at Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers.LanguageObjectsCache.GetLanguageResources(IProject project, Language language)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.TokenizationContextBuilder.Build(CultureInfo culture)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.TagFormattingDataProvider.ProcessDocumentTokens(SideBySideEditor editor, IList`1 suggestionData)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.TagFormattingDataProvider.GetSuggestionData(EditingContext context)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Actions.LaunchTagFormattingWindowAction.GetSuggestionData(SideBySideEditor editor)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Actions.LaunchTagFormattingWindowAction.IsActionEnabled()
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Implementation.Editor.AbstractActiveDocumentAction.UpdateAction()
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Editor.AbstractSelectionDependentAction.OnSelectionChanged(IDocumentEditingView view)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Editor.DocumentEditingViewEventHandler.Invoke(IDocumentEditingView view)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.SelectionChangedDelayedEventHandler.<>c__DisplayClass27_0.<FireEvent>b__0()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()]]>
    </StackTrace>

</Exception>

-<Environment>

<ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>

<ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>

<EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.0.0.11594</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>

<OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>

<ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>

<OperatingSystemLanguage>2057</OperatingSystemLanguage>

<CodePage>1252</CodePage>

<LoggedOnUser>DESKTOP-D9MPBK6\alexa</LoggedOnUser>

<DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>

<ComputerName>DESKTOP-D9MPBK6</ComputerName>

<ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>

<PhysicalMemory>16656168 MB</PhysicalMemory>

</Environment>

</SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
  • Also, you yourself in a post more than 5 years ago said it was a common problem that should have been dealt with long ago, but keeps cropping up

I was referring to the xhtml problem... a good example of how the same heading in the error message refers to a completely different problem.

Trados Studio, SDLX, TWB are three completely different types of software offering different levels of support.  Comparing these tools is pointless, not least because SDLX and TWB have not been supported for over a decade.  Clearly there is a problem that is now being picked up in Trados Studio for some reason and we need to get to the bottom of that.

I'll log a case for this one so the support team can investigate why this is occurring with 2022.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Hey,

I already logged a ticket for the development team to look into it as well : CRQ-29445 for further reference 

is there any possibility you could share the project package with us?

Thank you

Lori

emoji
  • I already logged a ticket for the development team to look into it as well : CRQ-29445

Now that's service :-)   Thanks Lori.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Thanks for getting back to me.Unfortunately, I cannot supply packages or files due to confidentiality reasons, but this problem crops up on almost every package or file I have been working with in Studio 2022, but never in Studio 2021. So I don't think it is package specific.

emoji
Reply Children