AppStore plugins no longer available

Some 45 plugins previously available in the AppStore are no longer to be found. Is this because of the current problems and thus only temporary, or are they more or less permanently discontinued?

I asked Intento, and got this reply: "Our plugin is indeed temporarily unavailable due to the RWS store update." So it seems it is a temporary matter, but do you have any idea of when all this will be sorted?

emoji
  •   

Some 45 plugins previously available in the AppStore are no longer to be found.

I would be interested to see this list.  I'd be surprised if there are 45 relevant apps missing?  There are still some missing and we're working with the developers to get them reinstated as they contact us.

Is this because of the current problems and thus only temporary, or are they more or less permanently discontinued?

There are no current problems.  As far as users go the situation is back to normal, although the web frontend is undergoing continual work as we make some substantial changes in the background to how everything is working.

emoji
  • Some examples (although I cannot vouch for the "relevance" at this point in time; it's mainly guesses): AdaptiveMT Trainer, Extract it!, InText Comparison Tool, Number Verifier, QuickTmExport/Import, Regex Combiner, SDL QuickInfo, SDLTmExport, Segment Information Viewer, Studio Migration Utility, TBTM_Align, Trados Studio Batch Rename, Trados TMBackup, and a number of plugins for various file formats. Plus Intento, as mentioned. But of course some of these 45 apps may not be relevant any more.

But I'm glad to hear that the AppStore is on track, with "substantial changes" even. Does this mean that we can look forward to filtering functions like Newly added, Newly updated, etc. sometime soon? (And alphabetical ordering in the Studio AppStore window.)

Although right at this moment, the AppStore web page is down, as is the AppStore list in the Studio AppStore window... but I assume this is only temporary. :-)

emoji
  • The site is now up and running again. Not so the window in Studio.

emoji
  •  

Thanks for the list.  You may be picking up old links that no longer work for some of them and have not checked the appstore to see what's there or not.  For example:

AdaptiveMT Trainer,
    No longer useful.  This was for the old statistical adaptive engines.  These engines are not available anymore so we did not republish the app.

Extract it!,
    I don't believe this has been available for a long time prior to the appstore changing

InText Comparison Tool,
    Yes, this is one we should recover.

Number Verifier,
    https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/33

QuickTmExport/Import,
    We could put this back... but not sure the developer still supports it and I'm not sure we would spend time on this one.  We had to update the source code for another of his apps ourselves - regex autosuggest provider.

Regex Combiner,
    We could try to recover this one too.

SDL QuickInfo,
    https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/91

SDLTmExport,
    I believe the developer stopped supporting this one and focuses on SDLTMConvert instead - https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/111/

Segment Information Viewer,
    We could put this one back...

Studio Migration Utility,
    I don't want to put this one back.  I think I replied to you hen you asked this question in my blog - "The reason we discontinued this one was because I don’t believe it provides a really useful service. TMs, Termbases and ongoing projects are trivial to migrate by copying them… although if you’re sensible you’d keep TMs and Termbases somewhere else and always leave them in that location. The other things that the tool “should” migrate are actually more likely to lead to problems. At the time of this article I thought this would be a good idea, but now I don’t! The reason being is the number of breaking changes in Trados Studio since this release. You really have to use new versions to avoid problems so this plugin won’t really help anymore at all. I think a more sophisticated version of the plugin could help, but since we really had zero contribution from our “friends” I don’t see this happening."

TBTM_Align,
    This was only avaiable for2017 and 2019 so we didn't consider replacing this yet.  We could do.

Trados Studio Batch Rename,
    Might be this one - https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/73  I think we improved on that one and released this instead.  Not 100% sure on that though!

Trados TMBackup
    https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/71/

Does this mean that we can look forward to filtering functions like Newly added, Newly updated, etc. sometime soon? (And alphabetical ordering in the Studio AppStore window.)

Certainly things we are looking at and they are now in our control to do it.  Not sure about alphabetical but we can look at it.
     fyi.

I assume this is only temporary. :-)

It is.  We are making some huge changes behind the scenes to allow us to improve all of this.  As I write this the appstore seems just fine so your timing was probably unfortunate.  Soon to be a lot more reliable.

emoji
  • Thank you for this extensive reply! I actually tried to find most of these apps by clicking the links I had stored in the past (and sometimes by searching for them on the AppStore page), but I did not do this for all of them, which may be the reason that I missed the ones you provide links for. Good to know!

As far as I remember, the default order of the apps in the Studio AppStore window was alphabetical, regardless of which filters were selected. The current (random?) order is less useful.

emoji
  •  

The current (random?) order is less useful.

I agree.  The current appstore web page was a quick fix to mitigate the problems we had last year.  We have been focused on rebuilding the backend and have not addressed the many features we know are lacking compared to the old one, and also lacking because the old one didn't have them either.  This is all going to change very soon!  We're in a much better place now than we have even been as far as the appstore is concerned... so all positive things to looks forward to.

emoji