Multiterm Extract updates

Hi,

Our ICT department is attempting to install MET on our behalf.
They have informed us that the Java version in use is out-of-date and as a result it cannot be installed due to security concerns.

Will this be updated at some point? Is there a timeline regarding completion of this update?

Thanks, Joseph

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  •   

I discussed this with the development team and we will log a ticket to see if we can do something.  I don't have timescales yet.  I also don't know if it'll be possible either because we will not do any work that is going to take a significant amount of time.  We make this available as free software these days because we don't maintain it for anything other than making sure it will work with the current version of MultiTerm.

The initial feedback was that we froze the java version when they changed the license to be a paid one as the next upgrade we would need to have paid a percentage to oracle.  When we make the tool available for free this isn't attractive!

There does seem to be an open source version of it that we may be able to use or get working, and there is a Microsoft version too.  So the team is willing to investigate first and see what's reasonably possible.

On this...

The issue isn't that  the install is giving grief, but rather that the ICT lads informed me that "the Java version is out of date and poses a security risk" and we cannot go ahead with the installation because of this.

I also got some useful ideas from the product manager who wondered if you might be able to install MT Extract with the 'wrong' Java version first, then un-install Java, and then install a properly supported one.  MT Extract should not care about the specific Java version used.  We've never tested this but it might be worth your ICT lads taking the very small risk in the installation timeframe to test the theory!

It's also worth seeing if you can install MT Extract without Java at all and manually install the version you're happy with afterwards.  Something else they could try.

Certainly I can recall many years ago when we removed java from MultiTerm how helpful that was!!  In the meantime we'll come back to you when/if we can address this within the installer itself.  

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • I'm flagging that with ICT now and will get an answer soon, thanks!

emoji