Problems with merging files with StudioView

Hi there,

I'm struggling with the merge capabilities of StudioView right now. I split an .sdlxliff file into parts successfully using StudioView a couple weeks ago and sent each part to a different translator to translate into Chinese from US English. However, now that I've received the translations back, I'm having trouble merging them back into one document to save as the .html the original file was in.

I've tried "splitting" them into one file, and that didn't work; the process hung on 70%, and though I cancelled and restarted, the same thing happened every time.

I then tried "import into selected file" and while that process completed, it didn't work as expected. It did not export the selected segments into the specified .sdlxliff file which showed a blank on the target side; however, it did instead create a StudioView .sdlxliff file, which, when I opened it, contained the merged updated translations. The problem is, when I then try to "Save Target As" for this file and try to save it as a .html, it keeps asking me to create the file; in other words, I click save as .html, then the window refreshes, and refreshes. When I cancel, and open the first .html file that is created, it is in English, not Chinese. In addition, when I try the Preview pane in Editor, it acts as if there is nothing in the target side and shows a blank, even though I can clearly see the translated Chinese.

Help! I need to deliver the full translated completed .html file in a few days, and I don't know what to do.

Is there a different way to merge files in Trados Studio? I'm using Trados Studio 2022.

emoji
Parents
  •  

I'm not really clear what you have tried, although you seem to be trying all sorts of things before actually doing what is required... which would be the "Import into the selected files".  Given you seem to be guessing... a bit... I think we should start from the beginning because I don't have confidence you are working with the correct files, especially when you say this:

it did instead create a StudioView .sdlxliff file

The import is quite unlikely to do this, but the export would have done and that is the file your translators would have been working on and it's the one you would be importing back.

The problem is, when I then try to "Save Target As" for this file and try to save it as a .html

You cannot save this file as the required target.  It doesn't contain enough information to be able to recreate the target in the required format.  You would have to use this to update the original files and save those as target.

I think it probably makes sense for you to create a couple of test projects and work through the process to understand how it works before trying this on a real one.

However, if you don't know what files you used to create the split files you sent out, and if you are unable to make the import work at all now (I have no real idea how you managed your project), then you could create a TM, import the sdlxliff with the translations into your TM, and use the TM to pre-translate your original project.  That way at least you'll get your files updated.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi Paul, thanks for your speedy reply. Let me clarify what I've been doing, as I don't think I explained it very well (it was well past midnight).

The original file to be translated was an .html file. I brought this into Studio 2022 and created an .sdlxliff file. I then used StudioView to split this file into six segments successfully, creating six new .sdlxliff files, which I sent on to the translators to work on.

My issue now is that I want to use the returned files to either populate the target side of the original .sdlxliff file, or combine them to create a new .sdlxliff file that can then be saved as an .html file to send on.

The steps I have followed have been the ones suggested from the official RWS documentation for StudioView, which is why I'm frustrated. Though I have followed the steps to the letter, none of it is working as the documentation explains. The first thing I tried was "Import into the selected files" with the original .sdlxliff file as the selected file, and nothing happened. I tried this twice, and each time, when I checked it, the target side remained blank. When I opened the folder, however, I saw that the StudioView file had been created instead, which is why I tried to work with that, probably erroneously. The reason I used it was because it was the only document I could see that had both source and target in it.

I then tried the other suggestion from the documentation, which is a bit of a work around, where I started a new project, imported the returned segment files, and then selected all of them and tried to save them as one segment, which is what the documentation says to do. (And interestingly, it is this method that is supposed to result in the StudioView file as I described). Here, the process ran up to 70%, then hung; after two tries, I abandoned this method.

So, my question remains the same. How do I recombine the translated segments back into a single document that I can then pass onward to the project manager, if the "import into selected files" command doesn't seem to be working as it should?

emoji
  •  

I think, because you still haven't really told me what you did... saying you followed the instructions just tells me what you should have done!  So here's an example of your steps based on what you have told us so far.  Perhaps you can see what might be different to the steps you followed... maybe?

If this doesn't help you and it's exactly what you did then I think you need to consider how the translators handled the split files you provided them with.  If they used another tool there is every possibility that tool broke them for use in this process, so I would not rule that out.

So, my question remains the same. How do I recombine the translated segments back into a single document that I can then pass onward to the project manager, if the "import into selected files" command doesn't seem to be working as it should?

In this case my last comment remains "create a TM, import the sdlxliff with the translations into your TM, and use the TM to pre-translate your original project. "  This is simple enough:

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  •   

I would also note that there is of course every possibility that the html files you have contain something that is causing this problem.  So please feel free to share the original html file with me so I can check.  If there is a bug we'll fix it.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Paul, thank you SO much for that video! I can see what happened; I did the process backwards. When I used "import into selected file", I thought the selected file was the one I should put in the dialogue box, rather than selecting the original file by highlighting it, then adding the segmented files in dialogue box,  because I couldn't really tell from the documentation. I am away from my desk now, but will walk through your steps tonight and do what you suggested.

I should add, for context, that I am brand new to Trados and have only been learning it since January in preparation for the exam, so I am still feeling my way around - which is why it might seem like I'm making basic mistakes, because I probably am. This is the first time I've worked with merging files, so there has been a lot of trying to navigate my way around. I'm incredibly grateful for your help - I'll let you know what happens.

emoji
  •  

Excellent.. thanks for confirming!  I think testing out these new processes quickly before adopting them in production, as it does only take a few mins as you can see, is always a good idea.  At least that way you know what to expect with a vanilla happy flow!!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
Reply Children
No Data