What are ramifications on the Oxygen plugin if Schematron, Constraints, and Subject Schemes are integrated into Oxygen?

From the perspective of the SDL tools, what are the ramifications of implementing each of these features?

My feeling is that a Schematron and some quick fixes (QFX) won't affect the Oxygen plugin...but not entirely sure.

Constraints though I think are implemented via DTDs, which I'm sure would affect the SDL plugin for Oxygen.

Lastly, my feeling is that subject schemes probably wouldn't affect the plugin.

I need an expert answer to these questions about the affects of integrating a Schematron, a set of constraints, and a set of subject schemes on the SDL plugin for Oxygen.

Thanks for any help on this.

Jerry

Parents Reply
  • Because we didn't have sufficient skills on our team, we hired a contractor (Scott Hudson) to develop the SCH, quick fixes, and pick lists (via subject schemes). Installing those documents was easy. He even created a batch of test files for us, a "fail" test and a "pass" test for each rule: Two test files for each business rule.

To install the Schematron and quick fixes, you need only to place them at a network location that's accessible to all writers. Each writer would need then to configure their personal instance of Oxygen to pull in the SCH. They can do that via Options > Preferences > Document Type Association. In that dialog, you'd need to create a new association for business rules affecting topics and a new association for business rules affecting maps. On the Validation tab, select the scenario (topic or map, depending) and then click the configure icon (looks like a wrench). Add a new file type of XML document and create an entry under Schema that points to your Schematron document.

We did nothing with SDL tools to get this implemented. We simply modified the associations that oxygen uses. If we were more skilled with oxygen, I'm sure there are ways to get SCH documents to universally impact all authors so that you don't have to ensure each author makes these changes.

If you implement constraints, you'd have work to do to get the SDL DTDs modified to integrate the constraints.

HTH
    Jerry
Children