Certification - doubts and questions

Good morning!

We are a small group of students trying to understand the subtleties of Studio as we intend to apply to the certification “Getting Started”. We were given exercises in class, but unfortunately are thoroughly failing to get the right answer for two questions : maybe you could help? I will explain them in 2 separate messages.

The first one is about “Tag verification”. I know Studio runs an automatic tag verification by “saving as”.

But as far as I know, it’s just a failure report with no information on the errors proper. In order to know where the tag errors are, you need to run a verification in the whole document (F8 or Settings/Verification).

The test we were given offers only 4 possible answers, with none of them seeming to match =>

• “menu command Edit => Verify” (and not “Settings”)
  • “automatically when you save a document” (and not “save as”)
  • “through Review => Verify”
  • “Automatically when you save a document”

I think both the first and the second may apply, though not perfectly. I would very much appreciate any input on this!

Thank you… !

Ingrid

Parents
  • Though I have no idea about the certification (never heard of it, nor seen it), given the weirdness you point out in this and the other thread I would actually doubt about the certification correctness or 'up-to-dateness' in the first place...

I wonder if it was perhaps originally created for Studio 2009 and never looked at since then... For example, there is no menu since Studio 2014, so any reference to "menu command" is just plain wrong (and I seriously doubt it is intentional mistake made to 'confuse').
  • Unknown said:
    I wonder if it was perhaps originally created for Studio 2009 and never looked at since then... For example, there is no menu since Studio 2014, so any reference to "menu command" is just plain wrong (and I seriously doubt it is intentional mistake made to 'confuse').

You're probably half right Evzen.  The material has been updated and in fact it is regularly updated with no small effort!  But perhaps the students are using an old course?  Or perhaps it is a deliberate attempt to confuse by referring to a menu when there is a ribbon now.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• If it is a deliberate effort to confuse, it's a very successful one! : ) I took the certification exams a couple of months ago and struggled with some of the questions even for the basic exam. Granted, I didn't read the training materials before taking the exam, but I felt some of the questions were strangely worded, or rather the answers didn't seem to fit what we know and do every day when using Studio, as Ingrid has pointed out.
  • I'm the same as you Nora... I took the exams when I wrote an article on certification but didn't read the trg materials and I also found some of the questions quite hard to get my head around as sometimes they are testing something I considered less than important. But to be honest I've felt that way about many educational methodologies including school!

Having said that I think it's quite hard to write material like this, and very easy for me to criticise. On the whole I think the courses do a good job of ensuring people have covered the material and are familiar with changes between versions even if the questions are a little cryptic from time to time.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• I agree it's hard to write test items, and I also agree that while taking the exams it can feel like what's being asked is not that relevant and there are other things that could be asked, or perhaps in a less cryptic way. As a teacher and teacher trainer I learned to only test what you have taught and to "test for success". I know this is probably not a high priority among a million other things that need to be done, but it might be a good idea to have everyday users suggest test items for the exams.

Regarding the course materials, I did have a look after almost failing the exams, and I think they are good. In my opinion it's just the exams that need to be revised.
  • I agree it's hard to write test items, and I also agree that while taking the exams it can feel like what's being asked is not that relevant and there are other things that could be asked, or perhaps in a less cryptic way. As a teacher and teacher trainer I learned to only test what you have taught and to "test for success". I know this is probably not a high priority among a million other things that need to be done, but it might be a good idea to have everyday users suggest test items for the exams.

Regarding the course materials, I did have a look after almost failing the exams, and I think they are good. In my opinion it's just the exams that need to be revised.
Children