Create file-based translation memories in web-applications

Hi everyone.

We have created a web-based application that will allow our users to generate file-based translation memories and download them to be used in trados. We used the page developers.rws.com/.../importing_a_tmx_file.html as reference in generating the file-based TMs. It is to my understanding that Trados Studio needs to be installed in the web server, otherwise, the TM APIs will simply not work. Is my understanding correct? Is there any way of generating file-based translation memories without installing trados studio in the server (I have some hesitation of installing trados studio in the web server)?

Best,

emoji
Parents
  • I think has already provided the correct response this.  The EULA does have a section on "restriction on use" which specifically says this:

"The Software (or certain functionality) may be provided with an application programmable interface ("API"). This Agreement does not allow Licensee to make use of the API, except solely to automate manual steps in the normal functionality of the Software that otherwise would be performed through its user interface. Without limiting the foregoing, Licensee is prohibited from giving access to the Software (or to its functionality) to non-licensees (e.g. through terminal server technology or a web interface to the Software running on a server)"

Based on your description you would be breaking the licence agreement if you were to implement a solution along the lines you have outlined here. The only acceptable way to tackle this would be to do it through an integration with Language Cloud or GroupShare for example where the access via API is appropriately controlled.

emoji
  • I think has already provided the correct response this.  The EULA does have a section on "restriction on use" which specifically says this:

"The Software (or certain functionality) may be provided with an application programmable interface ("API"). This Agreement does not allow Licensee to make use of the API, except solely to automate manual steps in the normal functionality of the Software that otherwise would be performed through its user interface. Without limiting the foregoing, Licensee is prohibited from giving access to the Software (or to its functionality) to non-licensees (e.g. through terminal server technology or a web interface to the Software running on a server)"

Based on your description you would be breaking the licence agreement if you were to implement a solution along the lines you have outlined here. The only acceptable way to tackle this would be to do it through an integration with Language Cloud or GroupShare for example where the access via API is appropriately controlled.

emoji
Children
No Data