Under Community Review

Add font mapping for Korean by default

KO is commonly requested for localization as one of the four main APAC languages (CCJK).  The default languages displayed under the font adaptation options on a filetype should include Korean, using Malgun Gothic mapped to all source fonts?  So these should be the defaults:

Font mapping settings in Trados Studio showing 'Use font mapping for the following target languages' with Korean (Korea) selected and Malgun Gothic mapped to all source fonts.

Parents Comment Children
  •  

I don't know for sure what you are looking for, as your post isn't 100% clear, but there may not be specific details to answer your question.  The changes made in 2022 SR1 (that I assume you are working with) were to make substantial changes to the Studio Editor by removing the old Uniscribe and GDI (Graphics Device Interface) components of Microsoft's Windows operating system that were involved in text rendering and graphical operations.  These were replaced with Direct2D/DirectWrite and Advanced DirectWrite/TextAnalyzer which are newer technologies developed by Microsoft to improve upon and extend the capabilities of GDI and Uniscribe.  They offer a more modern approach to graphical rendering and text layout, especially beneficial for hardware-accelerated and high-quality text rendering.

There were many benefits from this, for example:

• text is rendered more clearly on screen
    • editor performance should be (slightly) faster overall
    • the editor should work better on 4K screens
    • it will be easier for us to address issues and errors
    • we'll have a cleaner, more maintainable code base going forward which allows for more improvements in the future

Swapping out technologies like these in an application like Trados Studio was a significant undertaking and the effort involved deep architectural changes to the text rendering and layout components.  But certainly some of the benefits hoped for were to enhance Trados Studio by providing hardware-accelerated, high-quality text rendering, improved font and Unicode support, and more robust handling of non-Latin scripts.

Hence the comment from Daniel I think.