Idea Delivered

This has been delivered with Studio 2021 where you can customize number, date, time, currency and measurement formats, including using non-breaking spaces as appropriate.

Better currency and percentage symbols management, with support of unbreakable space

Hi,

SDL Trados Studio is able to automatically change the currency number formats, just as in the screenshot below, that is converting $2,000 into 2°000$:

Yet, at least in Canadian French, the right format should be 2°000°$, with an unbreakable space before the dollar symbol, this way:

I did not find any parameter to change it in Studio, including in the last 2017 version. That is those changes have to be done manually, which can be a big waste of time in financial documents.

Also, when I have a series of monetary figures, like below, the unbreakable space in the unconfirmed subsequent figures (if they have an unbreakable space previously inserted) is removed by Studio when I confirm the first one:

>>> 

Lastly, and likey a consequence of it, when I run a QA Check (F8), SDL trados find an error when $22,30 (or any other fiure) is translated into 22,30°$, but not if it is traslated inot 22,30$:

By the way, QA check sees an error as soon as a figure (it being an amount, a percentage or a date) is written in the translated segment with an unbreakable space. E.g., 21°octobre, 3,57°% or 1°200°$, respectively for october 21st, 3.57% or $1,200. Unlike the issues previously described, which are more of a missing function, the latter one lokks more like a bug, since Studio does not recognize figures which, basically, are the same.

I hope you will be able to fix in a next SR those issues all and every French translators undergo since Studio 2009.

Thank you

Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member

Hi Philippe and Michael,

The problems only seem to appear when the currency is on the left side of the number in the target segment (and on the left in source).

Obviously, my tests are far from comprehensive, but as you can see on the screenshots below , I have no problem when the currency is moved after the number (which is the normal position in French…), whatever the number format in the source. The auto-propagation even works as instructed (I tried with nbsp and no space).

I am pretty sure there are some hidden/conflicting settings.

By the way, the QA checks for numbers are activated in all screenshots below (I tried invalid numbers as well to make sure).

@Philippe  :  I will try and look for this option in 2019 tonight.

Pass, target currency on the right

I am a bit tired and it's likely I'm not seeing some details in your examples. Anyway, this needs multiple thorough tests.

• I made some experiments, and I was able to confirm the issue in QA is related to the left-hand sided $ symbol:

I used a series of LHS dollar amounts, RHS dollars amounts and percentages. Here is the translation initial result :

The French Canadian format requires a non-breaking space to be placed between a figure and any unit symbol. One has then to add it manually:

One has now to confirm the segments.

Here is what happens when one confirm the segments 22 (for $ amounts) and 34 (for percentages):

All the subsequent segments revert to the wrong format!

Imagine the burden of changing manually all those figures, and confirming them one by one, when, each time, Studio undoes your changes.

The only workaround is to select all the relevant lines and, in the Menu Bar, confirming the whole without jump to the next segment :

It works, but nobody can seriously tell it is satisfying a solution. It’s essentially a workaround to a lack in Studio.

Studio should have an option that allows to systematically add a NB space before unit symbols in French (and maybe some other languages).

Issue #2: the QA issue is still not resolved

Studio sees an additional number in the target for dollar amounts, but doesn’t see any error for percentages, even with a non-breaking space.

That suggests the NB space is not the issue for QA, but that Studio does not see the typical English $XXX.XX form as a number!

This conclusion is confirmed by the following test, with two dollar amounts formats in the same source file. Here is the result of the QA. One can see that errors start when The $ symbol is left hand side:

A solution?

Finally, I tried something else. I moved my TM from the All language Pairs section to EnCA -> FcCA section:

One can see there is here an “auto-substitution” (in French – Auto-replace in English?) feature, in which there is a Mesures option (Measures?), that does not exist in the All Language Pairs section.

It’s interesting, since you can specify you want to always insert a NB space before measure units:

And here is the result of the translation of the same file with that option:

… with the 2 dollar amount formats:

… and with percentages:

So, ensure to always place your TMs in the specific pair of languages section, and not in the All Language Pairs, in order to take advantage of the above-mentioned option.

Unfortunately, the QA issue when the $ amount is LHS still exists, even with that option selected:

• Please discard that post, that was not finalized. 

@SDL: is it possible to edit/remove our own posts?

Comment Children
No Data