Idea Delivered

This has been delivered with Studio 2021 where you can customize number, date, time, currency and measurement formats, including using non-breaking spaces as appropriate.

Better currency and percentage symbols management, with support of unbreakable space

Hi,

SDL Trados Studio is able to automatically change the currency number formats, just as in the screenshot below, that is converting $2,000 into 2°000$:

Yet, at least in Canadian French, the right format should be 2°000°$, with an unbreakable space before the dollar symbol, this way:

I did not find any parameter to change it in Studio, including in the last 2017 version. That is those changes have to be done manually, which can be a big waste of time in financial documents.

Also, when I have a series of monetary figures, like below, the unbreakable space in the unconfirmed subsequent figures (if they have an unbreakable space previously inserted) is removed by Studio when I confirm the first one:

>>> 

Lastly, and likey a consequence of it, when I run a QA Check (F8), SDL trados find an error when $22,30 (or any other fiure) is translated into 22,30°$, but not if it is traslated inot 22,30$:

By the way, QA check sees an error as soon as a figure (it being an amount, a percentage or a date) is written in the translated segment with an unbreakable space. E.g., 21°octobre, 3,57°% or 1°200°$, respectively for october 21st, 3.57% or $1,200. Unlike the issues previously described, which are more of a missing function, the latter one lokks more like a bug, since Studio does not recognize figures which, basically, are the same.

I hope you will be able to fix in a next SR those issues all and every French translators undergo since Studio 2009.

Thank you

Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member

Hey! The support for non-breaking space does seem to work now in Studio 2017.

My global new project settings are set to automatically add a non-breaking space between the number and the unit/currency, and I also activate the feature from the project settings directly.

I haven't retried the other settings of the Auto-substitution feature though.

• What has never worked and still doesn't work is that Studio ignore attached currency symbols when running the QA numbers check. Example: Source "45 $" + Target "$45" = Error: number missing! Every. single. time. This means that in financial reports with thousands of figures, we essentially have no numbers QA check. That's extremely lame.

• Former Member
    Former Member in reply to Michael Schubert

Please don't get me started on "What has never worked and still doesn't work" in Studio :D

• Former Member
    Former Member in reply to Michael Schubert

However, the check you are referring to seems to work in Studio 2017.

As you can see on the screenshots below taken from Studio 2017, the check does not show any missing number whatever the source combination and the position of the target dollar sign. On a side note, the 100% matches were successfully auto-propagated with the non-breaking spaces (finally!).

And I haven't imported any QA Checker profile either to make the check.

Comment Children
  • I am referring solely to the final point of the original post: If one language uses a space between the currency symbol and number and the other language doesn't, Studio does NOT 1) properly autopropagate; and 2) properly QA check. A number with a currency symbol attached is not recognized as a  number. That is, the currency symbol is not ignored in comparing/autopropagating numbers, as it should be. This problem has persisted in EVERY SINGLE version of Studio, from 2009 to the present. It seems to me like a house-on-fire kind of bug, considering how important numbers and financial translation in general is, but ...