Under Community Review

Defining curly apostrophes (quotes) as default for all projects (=not only in the Editor)

We would like to haben the apostrophes always written the same way, that is the curly ones, not the straight ones.

It would be great having the possibility to select these curly apostrophes as the basic feature for all Trados projects.

And also: including for texts coming from our Deepl add-in. 

Parents
  • Hi Marion

When you said "not only in the Editor", where else do you require this to happen?

Here's where you set your smart quotes (i.e. curly quotes):

Screenshot of Trados Studio Options dialog showing the AutoCorrect settings for English (United States) with 'Replace straight quotes with smart quotes' option checked.

Click through: File > Options > Editor > AutoCorrect

Choose your target language in the dropdown menu at the top, then tick "Replace 'straight quotes' with smart quotes".

Apologies if you already know this and that was what you meant by "not only in the Editor".

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to change the punctuation settings of DeepL.  It would be quite quick to run a find & replace for " or ' on the whole document...

Have you asked DeepL Support about this?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

• Hi Ali

I know what Marion means. Even if you tick that box, it will not always put the curly apostrophs correctly, e.g. when you hit the backspace key or when you are reviewing a text. And especially when you translate into French, like Marion does, that is really annoying and time-consuming. You will then have to insert them manually using the ASCCI code to ensure you have got the correct ones in your text.

Best regards,
    Annemieke

• It's also the case when you dictate your text.

• Hello Ali! I can confirm the way Trados deals with quote replacement can be frustrating in French. I use ASCII codes most of the time. I never entirely rely on the AutoCorrect feature. Some clients want French quotation marks (Guillemets) and straight single quotes in the same project. Don't ask me why! My life is sooo wonderful! So, I'd be happy to have something more customisable :-)

•  

Hello Julien,

Thanks for coming in on this thread. It is interesting what combinations of punctuation some end clients prefer; then there's whether they want spaces between number and unit of measurement. 

I guess giving a definite preference prevents documentation containing a mix of all possibilities.

It would be a great idea if someone would program a localisation plugin with customisable settings for each language and each potential prefernece in that language!

Did you notice that   has written an AutoHotKey script that will produce curly quotes. Perhaps it would be possible to write one that converts to guillemets.

,   - did you see Alessia's post?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

• Thanks. I haven't used AutoHotkey for a while. I should definitely give it another chance. And I think you're right: a plugin would be helpful here too.

• I undestand you soooo much!
    That’s why I use a AutoHotKey script, so I can only have courve apostrophes ’ and straights quotation marks "

Comment Children
No Data