Under Community Review

EDITOR — Display two (or more) project windows at the same time

Most of the time, I work on projects with multiple languages.

I therefore very often need to compare the files in the Editor and the way specific segments have been translated in different languages.

It is however, until today, impossible to display two (or more) Editor windows at the same time.

You must switch between the tabs using the mouse because there is not even a keyboard shortcut for that.

I know that there is a “workaround” since you can still open two instances of Trados Studio at the same time.

This “workaround” is however not satisfactory because it takes so much space on the screen.

I just can’t understand how it still can be — in 2023 — that an application would not allow the display of multiple windows at the same time.

In that respect, Trados still seems to be stuck in the Windows world of the 1990’s — or even the 1980’s!

PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS FEATURE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!

It should be standard as it is in every other applications I know.

• Yes, I’m referring to the windows in the Editor. Not the new Manager View.

Jerzy Czopik (see comment above) wrote that there is a shortcut to toggle between Editor windows.

Please refer to the answer I just wrote.

Can you tell me if there is indeed a shortcut and if so, where I can find it.

As I said: “Trados is a typical Windows application — ie. not at all user-friendly —, there is no way you can search with a keyword.

Trados is the only Windows application I have to work with. For the rest, I only work in the macOS environment — and with dozens of applications!

Why is Trados so user-unfriendly? And why isn’t this getting better over the years?

It often happens that users are searching for something specific — like a specific setting — which they know does exist, but just can’t find it because everything is so messy.

•    as suggested by Jerzy, you can use the Next Page shortcut to move between the views (see screenshot below) and Previous Page as well. Tyipically the  files opened in the Editor View are in the first positions in the list. Not the ultimate solution for your need, but a workaround indeed.

Trados Studio Ideas options window showing Keyboard Shortcuts with 'Next Page' highlighted, shortcut set to Alt+Right.

• Thanks, but I just can’t find anything when I look under Options > Keyboard shortcuts.

Nothing under “switch”, nor under “toggle”.

And as Trados is a typical Windows application — ie. not at all user-friendly —, there is no way you can search with a keyword.

What should I look for?

• Thanks Philippe - I guess in your heading you are referring to Editor rather than project windows. With the new Manager View  (still in beta) you can actually open several projects at the same time and move them about freely. I think the same design approach should come to the Editor View at some stage as well. Thanks, Daniel

• There is a shortcut for switching between the Editor windows. It is the same as for switching between other windows in Trados Studio. Simply check this out. Works perfectly, I tested in this very minute.