Under Community Review

Please improve the design of Trados to be able to translate large file or big file smoothly and quickly

My computer has high specifications, with excellent CPU and 32GB of RAM. However, when I use Trados to process an Excel worksheet of about 300,000 words (Characters), which contains approximately 50,000 segments in trados, Trados almost completely freezes. It cannot batch lock repeated segments and cannot translate normally. It is just one excel worksheet, and we can not seperate it. Please improve the design of Trados to enable it to handle large files of several hundred thousand or even a million words.

Besides, can you make trados split large sdlxliff document when necessary? could you also add the function to allow trados to divide one big sdlxliff to several ones that can be handled seperately?

Parents
  • Hi    - on your question around splitting SDLXLIFF files - see for example the SDLXLIFF toolkit app at RWS AppStore. Also while it is desirable to have a more robust handling of large files (Studio 2022 SR2 has some improvements in that area BTW), I also consider this a "get it right at the source" problem. If a file with 300,000 words and 50,000 segments enters the translation supply chain, something has gone wrong "at the source", i.e. where you get the file from. It is not good practice to work with such unwieldy files in any use case, including translation. But we acknowledge this happens very often so the CAT tool has to handle this as robustly as possible.

Comment
  • Hi    - on your question around splitting SDLXLIFF files - see for example the SDLXLIFF toolkit app at RWS AppStore. Also while it is desirable to have a more robust handling of large files (Studio 2022 SR2 has some improvements in that area BTW), I also consider this a "get it right at the source" problem. If a file with 300,000 words and 50,000 segments enters the translation supply chain, something has gone wrong "at the source", i.e. where you get the file from. It is not good practice to work with such unwieldy files in any use case, including translation. But we acknowledge this happens very often so the CAT tool has to handle this as robustly as possible.

Children
  •  

Just to add what to what Daniel mentioned, I'd actually recommend you use studioViews. This is far more robust, has more capability, and you can easily export/import split files within your project which make it much easier to work.  So this one:

https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/12

• Thank you, Mr. Daniel Brockmann, and we are also looking forward to a better solution in the next version of trados. We will also continue to purchase and upgrade trados to support your team.

• Thank you Mr. Paul. you are always very helpful.

• During these years working with trados, we have records hundreds of pages of errors, problems or bugs from trados studio.

I can guess the following poinst which might be something fundamental to some of these problems with trados.

1, sometimes, when trados convert the documents to sdlxliff, maybe from old version of word 2003, or latest version of microsoft 365 or other document, the problem has alread appeared and caused many subsequent errors which is difficult to continue with the translation. Therefore, trados need to have a mechanism to examine and automatically repair the sdlxliff documents that trados is about to handle.

2, It seems that trados doesn't not have a secure and stable memory which can be indepent and free from other disruption. Sometimes, the computer or maybe some other software can easliy affect trados, and cause trados fail to continue to work.

3, trados can demonstrate all the tags in the source text, but trados is always defeated by the tags itself. During the prcess of machine translation or manually transltion, some tags might get lost do damaged, but trados just use "strike" or "paralysis" to deal with the problem instead of having the mechanism of positive self-repairing.

4, the other application in the appp store is useful, but it might cause some problems.  For example, when we use MT enhanced translation which is even develped by trados, it causes many bugs for a long time without a solution, until we realize this. If possible, try to merge some important and useful fuctions of these applications in trados directly can test the software thoroughly before presenting to users.

Last, trados was purchased by RWS which is a translation company, It is strongly recommended that the desingers of trados can do actural transtalion work every week with different types of translation project. It seems that trados is becoming gradually not so user-friendly and efficient, such as the align document fuction of trados or the web function of trados and so on. If the designers know the actural translation task and often engaged in the translation project, understand and face different problems, we think trados will move in a better direction.

• The splitting would need to be consistent with the structure of the source file, i.e. breaking down into individual sections, chapters, etc., for coherent handling of the component source files in Studio. I think this need may be answered in StudioViews, which I have just glimpsed in the AppStore. But would it be possible to automate the splitting by pinpointing the section, chapter etc., markers?