Under Community Review

Termbase lookup : only display a source term when I click on it

Dear Trados Studio developers,

Regarding term recognition in the editor, there used to be a great feature in the Workbench (yes, that was a long time ago!): you could simply click on the red line above a term and the termbase recognition panel would instantly show that term (only that term, not all terms). This was one of the best features of the Workbench, and then... it disappeared.

The current approach, which is to display ALL terms in a segment, is very time-consuming when you have a very large termbase [50000+ terms]: it usually takes several seconds to display, which is really disproportionate, and what's more, the term recognition panel starts from the 1st term in the source segment, followed by many, many terms (can be 30) where you have to find the term you are looking for (by the way, the hotkey for "term search" doesn't help, as there is a bug in this feature).

I just hope that someone will read my prose...

Thanks!
Olivier

•    

Thanks Adam

You didn't include Olivier's longer post.

However, Olivier, I have found a copy of it that I didn't know I'd made. Would you like me to post it here or to send it to you privately, so you can use it to post again?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

•  

"If hovering over the red line would make a window appear"

I am wary of windows that pop up when I hover over something. Before you know it you can't select what you wanted to because some pop-up window is in your way.

For example, how would I select “H559” in the segment below if every red line would open a window when the mouse hovers over it?

Screenshot of Trados Studio Ideas interface showing a segment with multiple terms underlined in red, such as 'Canopy unit', 'Fixed shelf', and 'Window panel'. The term 'H559' is highlighted, indicating a potential issue.

Paul's idea of only displaying matches for the selected term in the term recognition window would be a cool feature indeed.

• Thank you   - you're an angel Innocent

• This would be a great start! Perfect summary! Thnx. If hovering over the red line would make a window appear at that place showing all the information and images, that would be a dream.

•     

Would it be fair to summarise all of this into something useful like this?  Is anything missing?

• Instant Term Display: Reinstate the feature allowing users to click on a term highlighted with a red line to display only that term in the termbase recognition panel, rather than all terms in the segment.

• Segment Scroll Feature: Implement a feature where clicking on a term in the source segment automatically scrolls the term recognition panel to the selected term, improving navigation and efficiency.

• Enhanced Term Information Display: Improve the display of term information by ensuring that text wraps properly instead of being displayed in a single, long line, and preventing tooltips with term details from disappearing too quickly.

• Image Display in Termbase Window: Enhance the visibility of images in the termbase window by increasing the size and clarity of images to make them more useful and recognizable.

• Consistency in Term Display: Address inconsistencies where terms are sometimes displayed in one segment but not in another, ensuring reliable term recognition across all segments.

• Beta Testing for Community Feedback: Initiate a beta version of the software to allow users to test and provide feedback on new features and improvements before full release, fostering a more user-centric development process.