Under Community Review

When creating a project, being able to select only files of a given file type, event when there are subfolders

It would be useful to be able to create a project containing only a given file type.

The current options are somewhat limited.

• With the “Add Files” option you cannot add subfolders, only files.
  • With the “Add Existing Folder” option you can only add whole folders, without being able to restrict their content.

Example:

500 HTML/HHC/HHP files, mixed, but in different folder levels. Would be nice to be able to select only HHC, or only HHP, or only HTML files, taking into account the subfolders.

• Hi Jerzy,

I tried that, too... But I am stuck here, when creating the project, I cannot get a multi-selection (checked boxes) for my hhp files (in blue)... You can activate the box file by file, or for all, but I found no way to just activate the boxes for my 300 HHP files (to then be able to delete them, using the buttons at the left side). Am A missing something?

But I think I will use that kind of workaround solution - create the project using all file types (it just takes more time as all files are analyzed), and delete unwanted file types in the "Files" view.

Thank your for your ideas! But it would be nice to be able to "sort", one day...

•  

Thank you for your valuable insight. You are right, this is time consuming. My concern is only, that provided the already huge functionality of Studio and the troubles with this reported by so many, I am simply afraid that adding another functionality here might cause even more problems.

•  this is actually the method I use for this kind of projects and I must admit that it works decently. The bad thing, though, is that if you have a significant quantity of files of a certain type that are translatable, the wizard will last for ages since it processes a huge lot of unnecessary files that, once finished, I will have to remove from the projects before I run a new analysis batch. I think a better selection tool in the screenshot above (ticking one by one is simply nonsense) would do the job and I think it would be helpful for several other use cases.

• The "Include subfolders" feature here is not designed for this purpose. If you add all your folders and subfolders to a project in Trados Studio and activate this checkbox, all files within your project will be shown regardless their position in any folder or subfolder of this project. When done so, you can sort the files by file type and remove unwanted files. This is exactly what I proposed to do yesterday.