XPP application performance: Single multi-core vCPU vs

Hello, 

I'm going to be performing a fresh install of XPP 9.2.x on a new Windows 2016 server VM. 

On a virtualized Windows platform used interactively (operators/xyview), would one of the following two scenarios yield better performance (considering background processes, interactive composes, editing and postscript/PDF/DIVXML generation)?

• One CPU with 8 cores
  • Two CPUs with 4 cores each

Thanks!
- Thomas

Parents
  • Thomas,

Well that is an interesting question.
    My expectation would be that it does not matter.
    Both configurations end up with 8 cores, which will be able to perform 8 xpp processes at the same time.

One thing that could give an edge to the single CPU configuration is that probably (but little do I know) the 8 cores on the one CPU can share the same cache while the cache in a dual CPU might end up in 2 different places. But this is a very theoretical difference and I have no information on how or even if this might influence performance. I would expect not...

Again I have no practical knowledge...so this is all theoretical.

What I do know is that the more cores, the more load your XPP system will be able to take (as long as you have enough compose tokens available)
  • Thomas,

Well that is an interesting question.
    My expectation would be that it does not matter.
    Both configurations end up with 8 cores, which will be able to perform 8 xpp processes at the same time.

One thing that could give an edge to the single CPU configuration is that probably (but little do I know) the 8 cores on the one CPU can share the same cache while the cache in a dual CPU might end up in 2 different places. But this is a very theoretical difference and I have no information on how or even if this might influence performance. I would expect not...

Again I have no practical knowledge...so this is all theoretical.

What I do know is that the more cores, the more load your XPP system will be able to take (as long as you have enough compose tokens available)
Children
No Data