compose -tj mode?

I was looking into the compose switches today using xyhelp when I noticed the -tj option and the -j options which I assume go with it.

From the description I gather that doing a compose -tj will only result in doing VJ on a block by block base (could be wrong about that).
Do you use compose -tj always in combination with the -jt/b/c/j option?
And in what scenario would one want to use this?

I just want to know to calm down my FOMO...
Anybody?

Parents
  • From my ancient notes, this feature was implemented back in 1999 for some customer "special".

And yes, you would use compose -tj in combination with a -j[jtbc] option (-jj is the default) where -jj means "justify" VJ, -jt is "top" VJ, -jb is "bottom" VJ, and -jc means "center" VJ.

When talking about doing this composition operation for one block, these command-line options are equivalent to the Justify Top, Justify Center, Justify Bottom, and Justify menu entries on the [COMPOSE] > Block Menu menu (Block Composition E5c menu).

Use case today; I don't know as this customer "special" is long gone now.

But for what it's worth, there's no reason that it won't "work" for doing what it is supposed to do for the scope that is specified (and that you are able to specify these days).

From what little I remember about that ancient customer "special", there were hooks in place such that VJ composition could be performed on individual specific blocks even via a 'compose' command. Today you would be limited to performing this VJ on all blocks on a page or specified range of pages (and I think you still might be able to specify which "stream" within those pages as well).

Jonathan Dagresta
    RWS Group/
    XPP Development

• From my ancient notes, this feature was implemented back in 1999 for some customer "special".

And yes, you would use compose -tj in combination with a -j[jtbc] option (-jj is the default) where -jj means "justify" VJ, -jt is "top" VJ, -jb is "bottom" VJ, and -jc means "center" VJ.

When talking about doing this composition operation for one block, these command-line options are equivalent to the Justify Top, Justify Center, Justify Bottom, and Justify menu entries on the [COMPOSE] > Block Menu menu (Block Composition E5c menu).

Use case today; I don't know as this customer "special" is long gone now.

But for what it's worth, there's no reason that it won't "work" for doing what it is supposed to do for the scope that is specified (and that you are able to specify these days).

From what little I remember about that ancient customer "special", there were hooks in place such that VJ composition could be performed on individual specific blocks even via a 'compose' command. Today you would be limited to performing this VJ on all blocks on a page or specified range of pages (and I think you still might be able to specify which "stream" within those pages as well).

Jonathan Dagresta
    RWS Group/
    XPP Development

Children
No Data