Can anyone generate Unicode Character 'LOGICAL AND' (U+2227) from Symbol font

Hi,

We have a file with ∧ (∧) in it and the character does not display in the xyview or in the resulting PDF.

It does not generate the unspecified typesetter character error message nor does it display the reverse video question mark. There is white space in place of the character. I can generate other characters from that font but not that particular one. xyprfont.pl works just fine on the font and displays the character correctly. 

We are running XPP 9.4.1.0 on RHEL 7.9. 

I have an open call with RWS support on this and have their blessing to poll this group. 

Thank you,
Jaye Mize (she/her/hers)

Director, Content Production Systems
JAMA NetworkTm
jamanetwork.com

emoji
Parents
  • Hi Jaye,

I was asked to look at your font setup to diagnose the problem and since you posted publicly in this forum, I thought others might be interested in what was wrong.

First, I want to add a bit more explanation as to the "unspecified typesetter character" composition message which results in the reverse video question mark characters when viewing the division in the XyView.

You only get this message (and xyview display behavior) if a character (Unicode value) does not map to any glyph in any font based on the FASTs referenced in the FV spec by the FF#/FV# pair (including all the FGS/PTS/etc. font specs used to create such FASTs). Ultimately, there's no font called out for such a character, so the Status window in the xyview will not give you any "font" information that's relevant; all you can do in the xyview is to determine the Unicode value of the character (or by the Unicode value given in the composition message when you compose). Since such a character is not mapped to any font glyph, it's an "unspecified typesetter character" with no specified glyph and so you get that message (when composing) and the reverse video question mark to visually show there's a font setup problem.

As you said, that was not the case in your scenario. The Status window reported Font: Symbol (29).

The first thing I did was to open the TSF spec and look at the Rule for the Symbol font (Font Map No: 29).

Right away I noticed that the Encoding field was set incorrectly to "extended" as the Symbol font is a Pi font (and in this case a Type 1 font). The XPP documentation indicates that for a (Type 1) Pi font that the Extended field should be set to "none", rather than "extended".

As soon as I changed "extended" to "none" and saved the TSF spec, when I opened the xyview again the "logical and" (x2227) character displayed just fine from the Symbol font.

I think that's probably all you and others need to know, but if anyone wants a further explanation of why using the wrong Encoding causes this problem just let me know here on this post and I'd be glad to explain further.

Happy font-ing.  Wink

Jonathan Dagresta
    RWS Group/
    XPP Development

emoji
  • Hi Jaye,

I was asked to look at your font setup to diagnose the problem and since you posted publicly in this forum, I thought others might be interested in what was wrong.

First, I want to add a bit more explanation as to the "unspecified typesetter character" composition message which results in the reverse video question mark characters when viewing the division in the XyView.

You only get this message (and xyview display behavior) if a character (Unicode value) does not map to any glyph in any font based on the FASTs referenced in the FV spec by the FF#/FV# pair (including all the FGS/PTS/etc. font specs used to create such FASTs). Ultimately, there's no font called out for such a character, so the Status window in the xyview will not give you any "font" information that's relevant; all you can do in the xyview is to determine the Unicode value of the character (or by the Unicode value given in the composition message when you compose). Since such a character is not mapped to any font glyph, it's an "unspecified typesetter character" with no specified glyph and so you get that message (when composing) and the reverse video question mark to visually show there's a font setup problem.

As you said, that was not the case in your scenario. The Status window reported Font: Symbol (29).

The first thing I did was to open the TSF spec and look at the Rule for the Symbol font (Font Map No: 29).

Right away I noticed that the Encoding field was set incorrectly to "extended" as the Symbol font is a Pi font (and in this case a Type 1 font). The XPP documentation indicates that for a (Type 1) Pi font that the Extended field should be set to "none", rather than "extended".

As soon as I changed "extended" to "none" and saved the TSF spec, when I opened the xyview again the "logical and" (x2227) character displayed just fine from the Symbol font.

I think that's probably all you and others need to know, but if anyone wants a further explanation of why using the wrong Encoding causes this problem just let me know here on this post and I'd be glad to explain further.

Happy font-ing.  Wink

Jonathan Dagresta
    RWS Group/
    XPP Development

emoji
Children
No Data