Displaying Vietnamese characters

I'm new to XPP. Sorry, I'm not even sure what parameters to mention regarding the setup, and I'm hoping I'm using the correct nomenclature here, but we are using XPP v9.4 on Linux and getting to it via Exceed.

I'm trying to figure out how to display Vietnamese characters. When troubleshooting, I see that the line editor correctly displays the "Latin Small Letter O with horn" ơ (utf-8 c6a1 or ơ in HTML), but the output/division file shows a large question mark character (white text and black background). In transformations (tt), we are able to match the character. The status window shows that we're using Times New Roman, which supposedly supports the character.

Thank you.

Screenshot of XPP v9.4 software with a Line Editor window open, displaying text with Vietnamese characters. A status window indicates the current font is Times-Roman (30). A red arrow points to a character issue in the text.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 11:24 PM (GMT 1) on 14 Aug 2024]
emoji
  • I have more questions for you than answers.

Difficult to point you in any particular direction as to what may be the problem.

This kind of problem does not lend itself to this forum, because you really would need to provide a copy of your data and setup to examine and that cannot be done here.

This is one really that needs Technical Support, so I suggest the following actions:

1. If you are going to be working with XPP now and dealing with fonts, I strongly suggest you do a deep dive into the XPP Fonts manual.

Here's a link to the XPP 9.7 version (XPP Fonts manual), which is what I suggest you read since we did a major overhaul of this manual for the 9.7 release.

Yes, it's a lot to digest but you can approach it within the context of finding the source of your problem with not getting all the characters you desire to be in the output. You didn't say what type of font your Times New Roman font is, but I suggest you focus on the parts of the manual that are discussing the type of font you are using.

2. Open a ticket with support and provide a full Job Archive (using the XPP tool) that includes all the relevant data. If you don't know how to create a proper Job Archive, support will provide that information or point you to it in the documentation (or to a Knowledge Article that summarizes the steps to do it).

Jonathan Dagresta
    RWS Group/
    XPP Development

emoji