Unable to log in and connect to a database

Hi Eugene,

My team is planning to use the Team version and has just installed SQL server + TBM. However, the following error was encountered:

Can't connect to a database, please check connection string. Exception details: Unable to open database. Connection string: 'Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=TBM;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;Encrypt=False;TrustServerCertificate=true;MultiSubnetFailover=False;'; Error: 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "TBM" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'IIS APPPOOL\TBM'. at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObject...

Do you have any suggestion?

I used .\SQLExpress - simillar to another user who asked you in previous thread. Thank you in advance

emoji
Parents
  • Hello, Mike,

Nice to hear that (about plans)!

As for the error, this one is more clear that in neighbor thread, because in your case error message says that server is found, but application pool can't connect to it due to access rights of the IIS APPPOOL\TBM user. You have 2 choices: find a way to grant this user access to SQL server (I can't give instructions, it's better to find it in somewhere in Internet or SQL Server manual), or open advanced settings of the application pool, and change identity to Administrator (at least for example, to check that it works, and then you can change it to other user with fewer rights).

Screenshot of Advanced Settings window showing General and Process Model settings with Identity set to ApplicationPoolIdentity.

This is also mentioned in the step 3 here:

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/business-manager/w/wiki/5101/installing-sdl-trados-business-manager-team-enterprise

Hope it helps!

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:00 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Eugene,

changed identity to Administrator sucessfully, then when I tried to log in, the error looks exactly the same as that in the neighbor thread.

Database update in process. Please wait...
    Please, wait when the operation completes. DO NOT refresh this page.
    Error
    Error during update:
    Unable to open database. Connection string: 'Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=TBM;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;Encrypt=False;TrustServerCertificate=true;MultiSubnetFailover=False;'; Error: 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SNI_PN11, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean withFailover, SqlAuthenticationMethod authType) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling, String accessToken, DbConnectionPool pool) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
    at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, SqlConnectionOverrides overrides) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open(SqlConnectionOverrides overrides) at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at DevExpress.Xpo.DB.MSSqlConnectionProvider.CreateDataBase(IDbConnection conn) ClientConnectionId:xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx Error Number:-1,State:0,Class:20'

What should I do now? I wonder if it is possible for you to use Teamviewer/Ultraviewer to help me remotely because I'm not a tech savvy. Thank you!

emoji
  • Hi Mike,

I think it's better to use forums, as current questions are not about TBM, but about server/database, which is not related to TBM (of course related, but it's not TBM itself). And since I'm developer, not system admin, I can only try to give advises, but not work on a server to avoid any security-related issues. We have special team for such things (and if nothing helps, we'll try to ask for additional help).

So,

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

says that provided server (.\SQLExpress) is not visible. You can try to put computer name instead of dot, and please check that installed SQL Server instance is indeed named SQLExpress. For example, in the mentioned neighbor thread instance name is MSSQLSERVER. I'm sure it must start working if you try to make this change in the connection string!

emoji
  • Hi Mike,

I think it's better to use forums, as current questions are not about TBM, but about server/database, which is not related to TBM (of course related, but it's not TBM itself). And since I'm developer, not system admin, I can only try to give advises, but not work on a server to avoid any security-related issues. We have special team for such things (and if nothing helps, we'll try to ask for additional help).

So,

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

says that provided server (.\SQLExpress) is not visible. You can try to put computer name instead of dot, and please check that installed SQL Server instance is indeed named SQLExpress. For example, in the mentioned neighbor thread instance name is MSSQLSERVER. I'm sure it must start working if you try to make this change in the connection string!

emoji
Children