Freelance translator interested in translating experience in cloud environment vs Studio -- any bugs or other things I should be aware of?

I am a freelance translator and have used Trados daily for over 20 years, always in a classic environment with Trados software installed locally. 

(Specifically, I use VMWare on my Mac computer to run  a virtual Windows machine where Trados Studio is installed.)

I am now interested in moving to a more online-based working environment. Please tell me anything I should know about how this experience might be different to the one I am used to.

Are there any technical aspects I need to know and weigh/consider before migrating from locally installed translation environment to a web-based one?

Please take into account that I work on Apple products (MacBook and iPadPro) and that my customers often send me for translation the packages they prepare using their enterprise version of Trados, and I connect to my customer's servers to access the TM's I need to use.

Thanks in advance for your help.   

emoji
  • Hi   - thanks a lot for your question. When you say you are getting packages from the enterprise version - as we have several 'classic' translation management systems - are these coming from WorldServer by any chance? If so, it is probably good to stay on Trados Studio for now. But if they are already coming from our more recent cloud platform ("Trados Enterprise"), then the story would be different. From what you say, though, it sounds you have been getting them for a long time, in which case it's probably one of the classic TMS systems. Anyway, the good news is that your Trados Studio license includes free cloud capabilities (if you are on version 2021 or 2022 of Trados Studio), so what you could do is get to know the cloud environment for free to see if this would fit your needs and how it all works. This is described in detail in our documentation here: Free Trados Studio cloud capabilities. This way, you can for now stay on Studio while exploring the capabilities of the online environment as well. Thanks, Daniel

Daniel Brockmann
    Team Trados @ RWS

emoji