Studio 2021 shuts down abruptly. No support. Defective product. Want refund.

I have purchased Trados Studio 2021 only two days ago and the software keeps shutting down abruptly. This has happened continuously since I have started working with it.

It is outrageous that I have to pay extra for support for a software that I have just purchased or write in forums as if it were an open source software. What a TERRIBLE customer service.

This is a DEFECTIVE product and I demand a prompt solution or a full refund and reinstatement of my previous 2017 license.

Parents Reply Children
  • After an external party reached out and suggested I deactivated the "look ahead" function, I did and now the software has stopped crashing. My files are still stored in the cloud, so maybe the problem has nothing to do with the cloud and you should look into the program's functions.

• What happens if you leave lookahead on and work locally without the files in the cloud?  I'm only asking because we do not test Studio with projects stored in a cloud location we have no control over.  If you are willing it would be good to know if this also resolves the problem.

Generally many of things that sometimes help, such as deactivating certain features, are only necessary because of other external influences.  If they were not then this would be a problem that affects everyone.  It does not.  One of the problems with software development today is the rapid speed in which external features are used, and in some cases automatically installed, without understanding the potential implications of their use in some conditions.  It's important to take the appropriate measures to ensure Studio can work without these external influences affecting it's operation.  It's not just Studio either:

https://support.google.com/docs/thread/4462058?hl=en&msgid=4489816

But Studio will be particularly at risk because of the size of a Translation Memory or bilingual file for example.

My files are still stored in the cloud, so maybe the problem has nothing to do with the cloud and you should look into the program's functions.

We are introducing Trados Live, and this will continue to be developed and improved, so that translators have the ability to store their projects in the cloud.  Using this we have the ability to control how TMs and Studio projects are managed.  If you wish to have files stored and backed up in your preferred location (like Google Docs, Dropbox, OneDrive etc) then it's up to you to understand how to manage this and why and perhaps only backup when you are not using the application.

Notwithstanding this we are always looking at the programs functions and will address things as much as we can control the environment the product is being used in.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• What happens if you leave lookahead on and work locally without the files in the cloud?  I'm only asking because we do not test Studio with projects stored in a cloud location we have no control over.  If you are willing it would be good to know if this also resolves the problem.

Hi José,

It would really help if you would test a project worked on locally with LookAhead turned on. As says, the developers are working hard to discover a means to prevent the working to Cloud causing communication issues that then trigger crashes, among other stuff.

I suggested turning off LookAhead because in your scenario it seemed the logical extra feature to turn off. As I said when I contacted you, it wasn't because I think that LookAhead causes the problem BUT it does free up some RAM. Thus I suggested it to get you through the job that is constantly crashing so you can meet your deadline.

So, please, if you would trial local working (NOT to your desktop as someone suggested) just to the usual SDL projects folder then report your findings here, it would be REALLY helpful! The developers do want to solve this issue that is causing so many problems.

Also, in my experience, you will need to suspend syncing to OneDrive - this causes me so many problems I have it permanently suspended while working. Or to any other online drive you normally sync to. Just for the purposes of the experiment.

Have a lovely day and stay safe!

All the best! 

Ali Smiley

• Hi Paul, Just adding to this thread: My Trados 2021 has shut down over 30 times only today. All my projects, TMs, TBs, etc, are local. I do not loose any data because of the timed backup, but it is extremely annoying. Thank you!

• Then create a new thread and we can arrange for a support engineer to take a look.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub