I keep receiving the error message "Referência de objeto não definida para uma instância de um objeto" when trying to use the TM

Hello,

I use Trados Studio 2022 and I noticed that, even if the TMs are enabled in Project Settings, in Editor (TM results section) they are not showing up. It just says "none".

When I try to click on Concorcance Search, I get the error message "Referência de objeto não definida para uma instância de um objeto".

This happens with projects I have just created and with projects I received from clients.

I have the latest update (downloaded and installed yesterday), but the problem continues. Tried to search for guidance in the Community, but haven't found any.

I have just returned from a 20-day vacation period and returning now, issue wasn't happening before.

Any urgent help, please? I have projects that must be delivered today.

Trados Studio error message stating 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' during a Concordance Search with no open translation.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:23 PM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
emoji

Could you please post the full stack after clicking the floppy disk icon on your scren-shot?

emoji
  • Hi Jesús,

I had already clicked on OK by the time I received your reply.

I closed Trados and reopened it to see if I got the same message, but it is not showing up now when I click on Concordance Search.

However, the TMs are still not opening, even though they are enabled and ticked for update on Project Settings. One of the TMs is from server (which is connected) and the other from file.

Trados Studio screenshot showing Concordance Search and Term Recognition windows with messages 'No open translation memory' and 'No open termbase' respectively.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 2:23 PM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
  • I had already clicked on OK by the time I received your reply.

The non-reference object error is too general to give a clue of what can be the issue. That’s the reason to click on the floppy disk icon and post the full stack. Otherwise we know nothing…

Are you able to see the file-based TM in your Windows Explorer? Is the folder sync’ed by OneDrive (or similar service)?

Did you update from 2022 version to latest version of Trados Studio 2022 or from 2021?

emoji
  • No, the folder is not synced by OneDrive.

I updated from 2019, I think. It was a long time ago (the update I mentioned that I did yesterday was just a regular one, not a version upgrade), and everything was fine until yesterday.

emoji
  • Hi  ,

I reopened the file one more time and the error is displayed again. Is this what you need?

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <SDLErrorDetails time="09/10/2023 11:14:47">
    <ErrorMessage>Referência de objeto não definida para uma instância de um objeto.</ErrorMessage>
    <Exception>
    <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
    <HelpLink/>
    <Source>Sdl.DesktopEditor.Control</Source>
    <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
    <StackTrace>
    <![CDATA[ em SideBySideEditor.ShowEditControls() em SideBySideEditor.OnLoad(EventArgs e) em Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.SideBySideEditorWithLoadEvent.OnLoad(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnCreateControl() em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl() em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em Infragistics.Win.ManagedContainerControlBase.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value) em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.DockControlBase.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value) em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.DockableWindowPlaceholderUIElement.PositionChildElements() em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.PaneControlAreaUIElement.PositionTabPanes(Rectangle workRect, DockableGroupPane group, UIElementsCollection oldElements) em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.PaneControlAreaUIElement.PositionChildPanes(Rectangle workRect, DockableGroupPane group, UIElementsCollection oldElements) em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.PaneControlAreaUIElement.PositionChildElements() em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.WindowDockingAreaUIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive) em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.DrawHelper(Graphics graphics, Rectangle invalidRectangle, Boolean doubleBuffer, AlphaBlendMode alphaBlendMode, Boolean clipText, Boolean forceDrawAsFocused, Boolean preventAlphaBlendGraphics, Nullable`1 zoomFactor) em Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.Draw(Graphics graphics, Rectangle invalidRectangle, Boolean doubleBuffer, AlphaBlendMode alphaBlendMode, Size elementSize, Boolean preventAlphaBlendGraphics) em Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.Draw(Graphics graphics, Rectangle invalidRectangle, Boolean doubleBuffer, AlphaBlendMode alphaBlendMode) em Infragistics.Win.ManagedContainerControlBase.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe) em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.WindowDockingArea.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) em System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m) em System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) em System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) em System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) ]]>
    </StackTrace>
    </Exception>
    <Environment>
    <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
    <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
    <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.1.8.17828</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
    <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Home Single Language</OperatingSystem>
    <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
    <OperatingSystemLanguage>1046</OperatingSystemLanguage>
    <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
    <LoggedOnUser>LAPTOPDANI\Samsung</LoggedOnUser>
    <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
    <ComputerName>LAPTOPDANI</ComputerName>
    <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
    <PhysicalMemory>20883824 MB</PhysicalMemory>
    </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>
  • , I tried to post the full stack (I closed and reopened Trados one more time and the error was displayed again), but the Community website considered my reply as spam.

emoji
  • <SDLErrorDetails time="09/10/2023 11:14:47">
      <ErrorMessage>Referência de objeto não definida para uma instância de um objeto.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.DesktopEditor.Control</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   em SideBySideEditor.ShowEditControls()
       em SideBySideEditor.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       em Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.TranslationMemory.SideBySideEditorWithLoadEvent.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       em System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnCreateControl()
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       em System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       em Infragistics.Win.ManagedContainerControlBase.OnVisibleChanged(EventArgs e)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
       em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.DockControlBase.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
       em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.DockableWindowPlaceholderUIElement.PositionChildElements()
       em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive)
       em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive)
       em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.VerifyChildElements(Boolean recursive)
       em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.PaneControlAreaUIElement.PositionTabPanes(Rectangle workRect, DockableGroupPane group, UIElementsCollection oldElements)
       em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.PaneControlAreaUIElement.PositionChildPanes(Rectangle workRect, DockableGroupPane group, UIElementsCollection oldElements)
       em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.PaneControlAreaUIElement.PositionChildElements()
       em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.WindowDockingAreaUIElement.VerifyChildElements(ControlUIElementBase controlElement, Boolean recursive)
       em Infragistics.Win.UIElement.DrawHelper(Graphics graphics, Rectangle invalidRectangle, Boolean doubleBuffer, AlphaBlendMode alphaBlendMode, Boolean clipText, Boolean forceDrawAsFocused, Boolean preventAlphaBlendGraphics, Nullable`1 zoomFactor)
       em Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.Draw(Graphics graphics, Rectangle invalidRectangle, Boolean doubleBuffer, AlphaBlendMode alphaBlendMode, Size elementSize, Boolean preventAlphaBlendGraphics)
       em Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.Draw(Graphics graphics, Rectangle invalidRectangle, Boolean doubleBuffer, AlphaBlendMode alphaBlendMode)
       em Infragistics.Win.ManagedContainerControlBase.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe)
       em Infragistics.Win.UltraWinDock.WindowDockingArea.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       em System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       em System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       em System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       em System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.1.8.17828</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Home Single Language</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1046</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>LAPTOPDANI\Samsung</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>LAPTOPDANI</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>20883824 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
  •  

Thanks for the full stack. could you please answer my questions above as well?

emoji
  • I did:

No, the folder is not synced by OneDrive.

I updated from 2019, I think. It was a long time ago (the update I mentioned that I did yesterday was just a regular one, not a version upgrade), and everything was fine until yesterday.

emoji