Subscription still keeps getting deactivated with non-existing and expired 90-day trial license taking over

Hi (Paul?),

I've raised the same issue here twice before and the issue still comes back.

Previous case nos. 00779553 & 00779035. Would you please reopen them and read for background info? Fran in licensing asked me to do that, as she can't figure out the problem either. I've had several support calls in the past for this issue with multiple support people who tried a variety of things, but the issue still returns.

Thank you,
Susmi

Trados Studio 2022 SR1 Product Activation window showing a Perpetual License tab with a notification 'License Expired' and an 'Activate' button.Trados Studio 2022 SR1 Product Activation window under Subscription tab showing user Susmi Ostenfeld-Rosenthal's account with an option to activate Trados Freelance Personal subscription.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:21 PM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • We will be pleased to help you with this problem so have logged a support case on your behalf. We do prioritise customers who have a support contract so please keep in mind it could take up to 48 hours, especially over a weekend, but rest assured we will contact you as soon as we can. You will be contacted at the email address used for this Community. Support Case Id : 00821392 .

emoji
  • Hi again Ana-Loredana,

While waiting to hear from support on case ID 00821392, it happened again just now.

I updated to latest Studio yesterday, so my current version is Trados Studio 2022 SR1 - 17.1.8.17828.

I also did Windows updates, disk clean-up and various other typical measures.

Today, I received an error message, which has happened a few times before but usually there are no error messages, it just shuts down and deactivates. Today, it didn't shut down/crash, but I got this message:

Error message in Trados Studio 2022 SR1 stating 'Reached the maximum allowed concurrent activations '1' for your subscription. Deactivate other Studio instances or consider upgrading your subscription.' with an OK button.

Will you please add that to the above info to the support case?

Thank you,
    Susmi

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 2:22 PM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Ana-Loredana,

I don't understand how this should fix it? I don't use Trados Live, I don't work in Language Cloud, and I've only always ever used it on one device. This is a problem occurring in my desktop Studio, it's not related.

Now, I have heard from support. Their solution is to provide me with a 6-month Freelance license... How is that a solution? Sadly, I think again this is an example of people not reading what the actual problem is Disappointed

emoji
  •  

I don't use Trados Live, I don't work in Language Cloud

You have a subscription licence and this is all about a licensing problem.  The licensing in this case works via Language Cloud.

This is a problem occurring in my desktop Studio, it's not related.

Of course it is when you use subscription licensing.

Their solution is to provide me with a 6-month Freelance license

I imagine this is so they can give you an activation code licence for long enough for them to resolve whatever is causing this issue with the licensing via Language Cloud.

Sadly, I think again this is an example of people not reading what the actual problem is

No, I think it's an example of people trying to help you to work without a problem while they try to get to the bottom of an issue that is a lot more complicated than you think.  I suggest you take them up on this 6-month licence and once the issue is resolved you'll get your proper subscription licence back.

Solving this isn't just something we can do in isolation as there are a lot of moving parts with other technology vendors involved.  Dealing with these complaints is also time consuming and isn't anything any of us want to have to do.  I do appreciate the frustration it's causing you too, but I think a little understanding and willingness to work with the teams trying to help you would benefit you too.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

Radu in support has said they can't figure out what the problem is so no, it's not a temporary solution and they would not try to get to the bottom of the issue, because they have already said they can't solve it. After the 6 month license expires, I would then have to buy a new perpetual license which is $1000. This is not just while waiting for a solution.

I do appreciate the frustration and time on your end as well, but I find it unfair of you to say I don't show understanding and willingness to work with the teams. This is the situation that has unfolded since February:

I purchased a subscription for $405 - which in itself is super expensive. I expected a license at that price to work.

After experiencing these issues the first times, I came here, and a support case was logged. I was very patient and worked with the support team. I spent hours explaining, writing, speaking with them on the phone, while they remotely tried to find a solution. I was very understanding and worked very willingly with the support people trying to help me.

After this first time, the issue came back. After a little while, I came back in here, and the second support case was opened. Again, I was very understanding, spent hours writing, taking screenshots, again speaking on the phone and trying all kinds of things, with support people remotely trying to do various things on my computer.

All of this time, this is work time lost for me, which of course for someone on a salary would not make a big difference, but for a freelancer it means you can't work on paid jobs, so it's not only time lost, it's also paid work lost.

Now I'm trying again, came back in here and have had to write the same thing again multiple times. Now with the end being that the issue can't be fixed and they can't do anything.

All of that after $405 and numerous hours of work time lost. Compare that to other CAT tools (albeit less advanced than Trados) where extensive support like this is rarely to never happening and licenses are provided for free by clients.

So, perhaps you can try to see things a little more from my side too, perhaps it would benefit your teams overall to get this feedback.

emoji
  • Hi Paul,

Radu in support has said they can't figure out what the problem is so no, it's not a temporary solution and they would not try to get to the bottom of the issue, because they have already said they can't solve it. After the 6 month license expires, I would then have to buy a new perpetual license which is $1000. This is not just while waiting for a solution.

I do appreciate the frustration and time on your end as well, but I find it unfair of you to say I don't show understanding and willingness to work with the teams. This is the situation that has unfolded since February:

I purchased a subscription for $405 - which in itself is super expensive. I expected a license at that price to work.

After experiencing these issues the first times, I came here, and a support case was logged. I was very patient and worked with the support team. I spent hours explaining, writing, speaking with them on the phone, while they remotely tried to find a solution. I was very understanding and worked very willingly with the support people trying to help me.

After this first time, the issue came back. After a little while, I came back in here, and the second support case was opened. Again, I was very understanding, spent hours writing, taking screenshots, again speaking on the phone and trying all kinds of things, with support people remotely trying to do various things on my computer.

All of this time, this is work time lost for me, which of course for someone on a salary would not make a big difference, but for a freelancer it means you can't work on paid jobs, so it's not only time lost, it's also paid work lost.

Now I'm trying again, came back in here and have had to write the same thing again multiple times. Now with the end being that the issue can't be fixed and they can't do anything.

All of that after $405 and numerous hours of work time lost. Compare that to other CAT tools (albeit less advanced than Trados) where extensive support like this is rarely to never happening and licenses are provided for free by clients.

So, perhaps you can try to see things a little more from my side too, perhaps it would benefit your teams overall to get this feedback.

emoji
Children