How to check if a string in a translation list is currently selected?

Hello,

I want to perform certain tasks via a macro on the data of manually selected strings in one or more opened translation lists.

To do that I first need to check, which strings were selected manually before.

Screenshot of Trados Studio translation list with manually selected strings highlighted, showing menu items in German and their English translations.

There seems to be no COM method or property to check if a string is currently selected. Among other things I had a look at "PslTransString.State", but there is no state like "Selected".

The only possibility I have found so far is to assign a special comment to the selected strings. Fortunately this also works for strings in multiple opened translation lists (although the "NOTE" in "Translation Comment" states something else).

Popup window in Trados Studio for adding a translation comment, with the comment 'to be processed' entered for a selected string in Menu 107.

The comments of all selected strings are set to "to be processed" afterwards.

The macro could then identify all selected strings via the assigned special comment and perform some operations on the string data (to preserve already existing comments the macro first needs to store already existing comments in a list and rewrite them in the end).

To have to assign a special comment first (e.g. a single character like "§")  to the selected strings is a bit laborious for the user.

Would be nice if there exists a simpler method to detect selected strings in a translation list.

Have I perhaps overlooked something in the COM reference?

Best regards

Karl-Heinz

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 10:34 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
emoji
  • Without knowing whether you are looping a single PslTransList entries or a complete view with multiple lists PslTransDisplay you can access the selected string entries with a simple selector modifier. Instead of

For i = 1 To PslTransList.StringCount()

use

For i = 1 To PslTransList.StringCount(pslSelection)

which then just loops the selected string entries.

PS: Forget to add the you need to select just the selected entries using

Dim t As PslTransString
    Set t = PslTransString.String(i, pslSelection)

emoji
  • Many thanks. With your hints I could find the perfect solution for my task.

Finding the required objects, methods, properties in the COM reference for a task can sometimes be really demanding.

I had to use the "PslTransDisplay" object to get all selected strings in multiple opened translation lists.

Dim ptd As PslTransDisplay
        Set ptd = PSL.ActiveTransDisplay

' process selected strings in opened translation lists...
        For i = 1 To ptd.StringCount(pslSelection)

Dim ts As PslTransString
            Set ts = ptd.String(i, pslSelection)

Dim list As String
            list = ts.TransList.Title

Dim desc As String
            desc = ts.Description

Dim text As String
            text = ts.Text        
            ' process collected data...
        Next i

emoji