Chinese characters displayed incorrectly despite chinese codepage and Font

Dear all,

We have just noticed that in all of our translation projects we have a wrong translation for "Settings" in Chinese because the charachter gets changed by Passolo and also in Trados Editor/Workbench.

What is want is:置

What we get is: Screenshot of Trados Studio language settings window showing options for Chinese (Simplified  China) with Microsoft YaHei Light 10 font selected.

We have .NET and als WIN32.dll files.

We have changed the font settings but the target dll still seems to contain the wrong character (when opened with -net viewer for example).

Screenshot of Trados Studio error message indicating a character mismatch in translation for the word 'Settings' in Chinese.

And the correct display in Passolo only works in a new project (after new source import/update?) - when we just change the font in the current project and copy the correct character into the editor, after pressing enter the character is changed again to the "wrong" one..

Can anyone help with this? What do we need to do to

1. display the character correctly in Passolo (and Trados editor and TM)

2. get the correct character out into the target files...

Any help urgently welcome - it affects all our translation projects...

Thank you very much!

yve

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 5:50 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hello,

I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed here.

Normally Passolo does not change the actual character - only display of the character is changed.

From what I can see in Passolo the display of the character in Properties window matches the same character (Unicode 7F6E) when checked in Character Map using Microsoft YaHei Light font.

Are you sure this is the correct font you want to use for the character?

The Font where this character looks like the image seems to be MS Mincho.

As for target file - from what I remember the source window needs to have the font changed - if it remains the default I'm not sure if Passolo changes it - even if you have it changed in settings.

Please check in a sample project with your development team this.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you, Adrian. Problem solved  - bug in development as so often ;-) 

The font is ususally changed automatically in the application  at runtime to Microsoft YaHei and 11 pt, then it works fine. Now because of the bug they used Arial and 7pt; the Chinese translator told me that sometimes these small font sizes cause problems. Works fine again now that the font change works again in the code.

And also- after changing the font from Arial to MS in the list settings, the target file contained the correct character - when you manage to set the font size to 11 in the code viewer ;-)  Again, the problem sat in front of the computer .. dear...

Thank you for the hint with the MS Micho font, good to know! 

Regards

yve

• Thank you, Adrian. Problem solved  - bug in development as so often ;-) 

The font is ususally changed automatically in the application  at runtime to Microsoft YaHei and 11 pt, then it works fine. Now because of the bug they used Arial and 7pt; the Chinese translator told me that sometimes these small font sizes cause problems. Works fine again now that the font change works again in the code.

And also- after changing the font from Arial to MS in the list settings, the target file contained the correct character - when you manage to set the font size to 11 in the code viewer ;-)  Again, the problem sat in front of the computer .. dear...

Thank you for the hint with the MS Micho font, good to know! 

Regards

yve

Children
No Data