Different size in files 7KB (EN-US) and 15KG (EN-DEV)

We have a situation where, for two past releases, the system is pulling from "EN DEV" instead of "EN-US". I have checked in Passolo and confirmed that "EN-US" is the source for targets, and "EN-US" is also the source for itself in LPU ALL.

Screenshot of a localization software interface showing 'Reports.resx' and 'Reports.en-US.resx' files in the 'English (United States)' target language folder, both with a size of 85.

In the LPU BASE, "EN DEV" is the source for "EN-US" but I am wondering why, when I check in Passolo, everything appears to be correct, but when I check the RESX files we have fewer lines in “EN-US” compared to "EN DEV". Can you please help me understand this issue?I would like to understand the logic and what is going on in the background to explain to Dev team.

For example: Adm.en-US.resx has 7KB (EN-US) and Adm.rex has 15KG (EN-DEV)  much more lines etc but in the system- Passolo it seems to be ok. Could you please help me explain why the system cut off the part of content inside of EN-US? I am not able to explain or find the solution or clarification on RWS community.

Both files EN-DEV and EN-US are in the same folder.

File explorer window with a list of '.resx' files, highlighting size discrepancies between 'Adm.en-US.resx' at 7KB and 'Adm.resx' at 15KB.

Please confirm if in target list of languages we shall have EN-Dev and EN-US or it is enough to have EN-US eg. In target LPU ALL Reports.resx and Reports.en-US.resx or only Reports.en-US.resx  ?

Localization software interface displaying a list of 'Reports' files for various languages under 'String lists' with 'English (United States)' highlighted, all files are 85 in size.

Project setup dialog box in localization software with 'English (United States)' selected as the source language and a list of target languages.

In other words I shall have the following structure of projects.

LPU BASE we have

SOURCE: EN-DEV

TARGET: EN-US editable

LPU ALL we have

SOURCE: EN-US  (Reports.en-US.resx)   not  EN-DEV (Reports.resx)

TARGET: EN-US + OTHER LANGUAGES

Or in LPU ALL shall exist also files EN-DEV?

We have a situation where, for two past releases, the system is pulling from "EN DEV" instead of "EN-US". I have checked in Passolo and confirmed that "EN-US" is the source for targets, and "EN-US" is also the source for itself in LPU ALL.

In the LPU BASE, "EN DEV" is the source for "EN-US" but I am wondering why, when I check in Passolo, everything appears to be correct, but when I check the RESX files we have fewer lines in “EN-US” compared to "EN DEV". Can you please help me understand this issue?I would like to understand the logic and what is going on in the background to explain to Dev team.

For example: Adm.en-US.resx has 7KB (EN-US) and Adm.rex has 15KG (EN-DEV)  much more lines etc but in the system- Passolo it seems to be ok. Could you please help me explain why the system cut off the part of content inside of EN-US? I am not able to explain or find the solution or clarification on RWS community.

Both files EN-DEV and EN-US are in the same folder.

Please confirm if in target list of languages we shall have EN-Dev and EN-US or it is enough to have EN-US eg. In target LPU ALL Reports.resx and Reports.en-US.resx or only Reports.en-US.resx  ?

In other words I shall have the following structure of projects.

LPU BASE we have

SOURCE: EN-DEV

TARGET: EN-US editable

LPU ALL we have

SOURCE: EN-US  (Reports.en-US.resx)   not  EN-DEV (Reports.resx)

TARGET: EN-US + OTHER LANGUAGES

Or in LPU ALL shall exist also files EN-DEV?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 2:39 PM (GMT 1) on 19 Jun 2024]
emoji
  • The description points to 2 fundamental problems. One refers to the way in which the RESX target files are generated, the other to how the projects are structured.

The RESX target files are not a 1:1 copy of the original RESX source files from developers. Passolo doesn’t treat them as XML files, RESX files are read and written with .NET Framework classes. These classes do not copy all the data into the target files, just the necessary data to ensure that satellite assemblies can be generated properly. One of the default concepts from Microsoft is that only changed text strings will be written to the target RESX files. So when you don’t translate/change a text entry, it will not be stored in the target file. Using a .NET parser option, you can change this behavior, but please be aware that the target file will still not be a 1:1 copy.

The description is about a BASE and an ALL project, but it does not look as if the Passolo feature of cascaded projects was used. Rather, the ALL project seems to be a separate project that takes the target files of the BASE project as source files. Especially when the target files of the BASE project is not a 1:1 copy of the source files, this setup is more complex, not best practice and will cause the observed problems.

There is a recorded webinar on how to use the cascaded projects feature in Passolo. Please send me your mail address on a private channel so that I can give you access to the recording.

emoji