How to Make PASSOLO 2022 work in Docker Windows Container - OS Win Server 2022

Greetings!
Dear support, dear developers,

-I am tasked to integrate Passolo 2022 to work inside a windows server 2022 windows docker container,
since passolo has a pslcmd.exe, we had the idea it can work as a command line tool, without GUI.

-Succeeded to install Passolo 2022 inside the container, (install log was perfect.)
-installed .NET 6 just in case, but we already tried with 8.
-container has Visual Studio build tools installed as well.

- but running pslcmd.exe (or psl.exe) with any kind of parameters, results in literally nothing- no feedback at all. Just runs for not a whole second, then stops without any response in cmd (or in powershell.).
Tried to use >> to pipe out the feedback into a file, we tried even the following line:

pslcmd.exe C:\Temp\Tutorial\Tutorial.lpu /update /generate lang:german /output:"c:\passolo_20240905_210741_1_update6.log" & echo Passolo return code: %errorlevel% >> "C:\passolo_20240905_210741_1_update6.log"

So even asking for an output file from the application, and also redirecting all errors to the file-

Yet no feedback besides "error level 0" in the file,

on the screen: never anything.
Just, when you run psl.exe or pslcmd.exe, it almost immediately gives back the cursor, and creates no files or feedback.
Command prompt screenshot showing navigation to the Passolo 2022 directory and an attempt to run pslcmd.exe with parameters to generate a German language file.

Calling from plain CMD, (without powershell) or using start-process with -wait and different window options, and even with -nonewwindow resutls in absolutely the same.

BUT: I tried to run the same commands on the machine itself, what is hosting our docker, (A normal VM, it also has passolo installed) - but they work there - even when I deliberately deleted the license server from registry, it gave a well formed error message in CMD - and of course works OK from CMD if set-up normally. (on the host machine, not inside a container)

-BUT: Running on the host machine, I noticed that even with the registry settings set:

[HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Trados\Passolo 2022\ApplicationUpdating]
"AutomaticUpdate"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Trados\Passolo 2022\Batch]
"MessageBox"=dword:00000000
"AllowDeletion"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Trados\Passolo 2022\Edit]
"KeepSpaces"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Trados\Passolo 2022\Macro]
"RunSystemMacro"=dword:00000001
"SystemMacro"="HelperLanguage.bas"

[HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Trados\Passolo 2022\System]
"Language"=dword:00000009

[HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Trados\Passolo 2022\License]
"CurrentLPID"="SafeNetRMS"
"ServerName"="OURLICENSESERVER-REDACTED"
"UseLicenseServer"="True"
"CheckedOutFeatures"="ProfessionalEditionPas,AllowDotNet"
"CheckedOutEdition"="ProfessionalEditionPas"

(<SID> is set normally, as my user of course)

using pslcmd.exe from CMD -always- brings up the GUI for a few seconds... Then the window dsappears, and we get feedback in cmd.

I suspected that maybe this is the reason why it does not seems to run at all inside a windows container. (because it first tries to start a GUI... While it calls itself: pslCMD.exe...)

So on the hsot VM it works like a charm, but not inside the container.

I even tried the pslcmd.exe that is inside the host's own passolo directory (which works on the host) to run, called from inside the container (instead of the one installed in the container) with the same results:
no feedback, no error, and stops very fast. (get-process never shows it as running)

-Could you help me out, how can I make it run without a GUI? Or to make it work any way Inside a Windows Container?

It iseems really important to make it run inside a container for our team, that is our task to make it happen.

(RDP does not work in the windows container, microsoft made sure of that, so trying through RDP is out of the question.)

Thank you in advance,
with best regards, 
Daniel

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 12:54 PM (GMT 1) on 18 Sep 2024]
emoji