Passolo Excel Add in - setting the maximum length

I have a Passolo 2018 Passolo project which uses the Excel Add in tool.

Everything is set up properly, with the sheet name, starting row, source string row etc.

My spreadsheet also contains a column with the maximum length allowed for the translation of each row.

After creating string lists, I deliberately set the translation of 1 string to exceed the maximum value.

I then go to the Review menu, Check options and make sure the "Text too long" box is ticked.

Then run the "Checking translations function" against all the string lists.

Nothing is reported!

So, 2 questions:

1. What do I need to do to enable the checking to use the information I provided in the Excel sheet options and report on translations that are too long?

2. Is there a way for the target translation list to display this information to translators during translation? - I suspect it would be quite handy

Thanks

emoji
Parents
  • If you follow the description, everything should work without any problems. The issues may lie in small details. So I can only give you tips here on what to look out for:

• Check the source list entries whether the maximum length data is properly imported as shown here
    • Screenshot showing a properties panel with 'Max Length' field highlighted, value set to 20.
    • After updating all translation list, the maximum length should be shown for the corresponding translation entries
    • Screenshot of a translation string panel with an info box highlighting 'Max. line length = 20' and a character count showing a violation with 23 characters.
    • This includes the automatic comment about the maximum length and the character count area that shown violations live.
    • In the translation list, the violation is shown here
    • Screenshot of a translation list indicating 'Text too long' error for 'USERNAME_LABEL' with a warning icon.
    • And when checking error messages are displayed
    • Screenshot of a message panel displaying an error for 'USERNAME_LABEL' in Excel Sheet 'Translations' stating '110: Text too long'.
    emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 2:38 PM (GMT 1) on 15 Oct 2024]
  • If you follow the description, everything should work without any problems. The issues may lie in small details. So I can only give you tips here on what to look out for:

• Check the source list entries whether the maximum length data is properly imported as shown here
    • Screenshot showing a properties panel with 'Max Length' field highlighted, value set to 20.
    • After updating all translation list, the maximum length should be shown for the corresponding translation entries
    • Screenshot of a translation string panel with an info box highlighting 'Max. line length = 20' and a character count showing a violation with 23 characters.
    • This includes the automatic comment about the maximum length and the character count area that shown violations live.
    • In the translation list, the violation is shown here
    • Screenshot of a translation list indicating 'Text too long' error for 'USERNAME_LABEL' with a warning icon.
    • And when checking error messages are displayed
    • Screenshot of a message panel displaying an error for 'USERNAME_LABEL' in Excel Sheet 'Translations' stating '110: Text too long'.
    emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 2:38 PM (GMT 1) on 15 Oct 2024]
Children