DeepL plugin wiki is very much out of date

The screenshot is very old; for instance, it is not possible to cancel anytime -- once you have subscribed, you are stuck for a year.

But more importantly, the subscriptions showed in this (old) image do not include an API key. The necessary information is this:

On the DeepL web page, you should NOT select the (default) page "For individuals", which shows the same options (but with other prices) as the image on the wiki page. If you do, you will get stuck with one year's payment which cannot be cancelled. (In the Welcoming letter, you are indeed told that you can cancel anytime -- but that cancellation only applies to the presumably automatical renewal one year later.)

Instead, to get an API key, you must select the "For developers" tab (even if you are not a "developer") and a suitable option. (And even though there is a Change button for both options, it is not possible to change from a one-year "Individual" subscription to a "Developer" one.)

In all, you need to be very careful when subsribing to DeepL. And the wiki should reflect that (since the DeepL information is lacking in many respects). Furthermore, the text presenting the plugin needs to be amended.

If from this you surmise that I happened to sign up for a yearly subscription, which cannot be used together with Studio, you are quite correct.

It remains to investigate how the DeepL Machine Translation Provider for RWS Language Cloud works.

emoji
  •   

Thanks for that.  I have updated the wiki accordingly -  DeepL Translation Provider 

Instead, to get an API key, you must select the "For developers" tab (even if you are not a "developer") and a suitable option. (And even though there is a Change button for both options, it is not possible to change from a one-year "Individual" subscription to a "Developer" one.)

I don't think this is correct.  Currently on the Developers tab it says this:

You need to purchase the "Advanced" or "Ultimate" edition to have CAT Tool Integration: https://www.deepl.com/pro#team

It remains to investigate how the DeepL Machine Translation Provider for RWS Language Cloud works.

Same API key... and I added some info to the wiki on that.

Also... we will edit the text on the UI of the plugin so it does not refer to "DeepL Pro" as this is clearly incorrect.

emoji
  • OK -- thanks for these corrections. I jumped to conclusions because I did not look closely enough. For a freelance translator, I'd say that €300 per year is pretty steep, particularly considering that there are several other MT services that are much less expensive and possibly just as good. (Obviously I haven't tried the DeepL Studio integration.) No shadow on RWS for this, of course.

I might add that the welcoming email that you get when subscribing says that "If you ever wish to end your subscription, just go to your DeepL Account Page and cancel your subscription." They forget to mention that such cancelling only means that the subscription will not be (automatically, I assume) renewed when your current (one-year) subscription runs out. That is not what mean by "end your subscription". In fairness, though, I should add that I can't find any corresponding information (about cancellation) on the DeepL web site.

emoji