Web Lookup! - is it possible to suppress links opening in new (Internet Explorer's) windows? - if not then there's a feature request

Web Lookup is a great tool for Trados, I love using it, and do it quite often.

But there's one thing that spoils things a bit:

when I open Google page (and almost any other web search site) with links as per my search words, and find the link I need, and click it - the page opens in a separate Internet Explorer window (instead of it I use Edge or some other chromium clones as the majority of users nowadays though).

Anyway the user has to leave Studio where he has worked just yet, which is not handy and in fact kills the great idea of Web Lookup! plugin.

Is there a way to make windows open in the same Web Lookup! window?

If it's not possible, I guess it'd be great to implement this feature.

emoji
Parents
  • Hi ,

To ensure I get the following -or not- as you do, can you please confirm what Studio version you're running and what version of the plugin?

I am on the latest Studio version 2021 SR2 build 6.2.9.9198 and the plugin I downloaded it from the integrated AppStore to make sure I run the latest compatible version.

When I open a Google page with links to other pages, they all are within the same main frame:

searching for Getting Started in IATE and Google:

They are kept within the main window, not re-opening a new one.

So it would be useful to know the details I mentioned above.

Thank you,

emoji
  • Dear Oana, 

thanks for your feedback,

I have the same as you - first lookup in every search engine is opened inside the plugin's window.

But when I click links in Google webpage (with search results), then new Internet Explorer window pops up.

(If it was Edge or some other modern browser, it would have been ok yet, as IE will soon be unsupported by MS).

Wikipedia behaves differently: its pages open in the same (plugin's) window (a subwindow inside Trados).

Apparently it depends on websites' html which instructs browser how to behave with new links opening.

It would be great if the plugin could substitute 'open in new window' website's setting to the 'open in the same window' on the fly so no outer applications are involved and all the subsequent operations are carried out inside of Trados.

emoji
  • Dear Oana, 

thanks for your feedback,

I have the same as you - first lookup in every search engine is opened inside the plugin's window.

But when I click links in Google webpage (with search results), then new Internet Explorer window pops up.

(If it was Edge or some other modern browser, it would have been ok yet, as IE will soon be unsupported by MS).

Wikipedia behaves differently: its pages open in the same (plugin's) window (a subwindow inside Trados).

Apparently it depends on websites' html which instructs browser how to behave with new links opening.

It would be great if the plugin could substitute 'open in new window' website's setting to the 'open in the same window' on the fly so no outer applications are involved and all the subsequent operations are carried out inside of Trados.

emoji
Children