TS 2019 SR2- TM instability and constant TM issues - TranslationProviderThrewException

Hi

I am getting this fatal error for no apparent reason. I do not have any in-file errors. I have upgraded the TM several times in an attempt to resolve this, and it is a new TM anyway, but it does not work.

How to solve this?

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • Hi

Checking in to find out when I should expect resolution of the AnyTM issue.
    Things are getting out of hand on my end - I am getting a large number of the errors that we talked about in every project and must entirely disable  AnyTM at the 'Finalize' stage otherwise I get a fatal error and cannot finalize the project. That means that AnyTm is fatally broken. I do not even know if it is doing anything at all anymore. I am also beginning to doubt the integrity and operation of the main TM that is used as the basis for the AnyTM.
    One way or the other, please provide a solution urgently, it is very disturbing to work with a machine that keeps providing fatal errors and my confidence in the software and in the way it operates is seriously impaired.
    This should not be an issue that a Trados user should be encountering at any point in time. The TM is the holy grail of any translation software and this type of malfunction is detrimental to my confidence in Trados' technical team that is handling this precious resource. I apologize for saying that, but I simply want you to know how I feel, and I am getting really nervous about this malfunction.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    emoji
  • Just following up on this one.  I believe the support team have spent some time on this with you and it looks as though they are unable to get to the bottom of the real problem.  They can't find anything particularly wrong with Trados Studio here and feel as though the issue is likely to be related to the size of your TM which is well over a million TUs.  There is a KB here which explains the current recommendation for working with file-based translation memories:

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000006050

If you are willing I think it would be worth trying a couple of things:

1. split your TM into bite sized chunks and then see it Trados performs better for you when using multiple TMs.  Despite the KB article I don't think you'd need to go that small, but perhaps try splitting it into around 250k TUs in each one and just test.  I'll happily help you with the split if you need it?
    2. take a look at loading your TM into Trados Live.  In theory this should be able to handle larger TMs, so you could try loading your one large TM into the cloud and test it there.  But I'd also recommend you test the same split files in the cloud as well.

I think you are working on the limitations of Trados and whilst I have personally managed to work with some pretty large resources in Trados there are some rules I try to follow.  One would be not to use fragment matching, so I never "upgrade" TMs that are this large.  For one thing my PC would run out of memory most of the time trying to achieve an "upgrade" of that nature, and the TM itself would also become so large it would really be unworkable.  So I always use Trados Studio 2019 or even 2017 to create my TMs as I won't be forced to "upgrade".  You have 2019 so that part should be possible.

I also make sure I don't use external or shared (OneDrive, Dropbox etc.) drives for these type of resources as the continual synching is ar too much for the connection speed I'm able to get and this also causes problems.  So I would always move them somewhere on my local machine and away from any sort of live synching capability.  f I want the backups then I do them when I've stopped working, or use Trados Live.

I know this won't be the answer you wanted, but perhaps we can try to do something practical to find what does work for you and what won't.  Then you will at least be in a position to take a decision on what you will do next based on what you can and can't live with.

emoji
  • Hi Paul

Thank you for taking the time to respond. A few important points though:

1. My total project template TM size in the aggregate (including TMs and AnyTMs) per direction is less than 250K TU, and not like you said. 

2. In each direction (Heb>Eng Eng>Heb) there are 4 TMs and 4 AnyTMs. The size of 2 of the TMs (and corresponding AnyTMs) is 100k-150k at most, and the size of the other two is a few thousand TUs only. So, in fact, the actual size of the 4 direct TMs is about 250 thousand TU in each direction. This is the result of strict management of TMs on my part according to your recommendations with the years. So, in fact I already implemented your recommendations!

3. Of all the TMs, it is the two younglings (a few thousand TUs each) that are causing the problems, as AnyTMs in particular, and require upgrades on a daily basis (!). The big, legacy, ones, that are not being updated anymore, are fine so far (knock on wood).

4. Fragment matching is a valuable resource that cannot be offhandedly "unrecommended". I have not experienced any problems with it, only with the AnyTM and the constant TM upgrade demand.

4. I do not have any memory issues or CPU issues, to the contrary, as I already pointed out to you in another conversation we had a couple of years back, Trados never uses more than 25% of my CPU capacity, which is a sad waste of available resources.

6. This means that there really is no reason why my instance of Trados is not working properly, as I did all you recommended to me by now, without improvement.

6. All the above, and what you wrote, leads me to believe that no significant and sorely needed advancements and improvements were made to Studio Freelance core in order to take it forward, in the current and customary order of things in the software industry, and that all efforts focus on a transition to Trados Live. It also indicates that the takeover by RWS has not been beneficial to Trados Studio Freelance.

7. Moreover, for information security and confidentiality reasons, I cannot use Trados Live. Also, I do not wish to share my TMs with anyone and I do not trust RWS to keep them safe and private on their cloud, which they do not even promise, to the contrary. So, there is in fact no option available to me today to use Trados Live at this time.

On a personal note, I was anxiously following the RWS takeover and its consequences on my relationship with Trados Studio. I was promised by your colleagues during our video conference call about a month back that Trados Studio Freelance will not be abandoned, but your letter actually leads me to believe the opposite is true. I actually hoped that my relationship with Studio would continue to my old age, but now I realize that this may not be the case. To me that is a sad moment.

emoji
  • Thanks for replying with this detail.  I don't think I'll get much value from arguing about what the support team advised and what I can also read in the case notes, and what you have said here.  There is a problem clearly, and I would be willing to try and help further.  But you will have to provide your TMs and projects to be able to get some help.

I'd also note that the support team have bent over backwards to try and help you here despite you not having a support contract and the issue is definitely not anything related to licensing or installation.  The things you are reporting are not a general problem or we'd see this all over the forums all the time.

4. Fragment matching is a valuable resource that cannot be offhandedly "unrecommended".

I only suggested this because I was under the impression you were working with a very large TM.  I also discussed TM sizes with a developer working in this space and his view was that he would not put a recommended size on things at all.  He was far more pragmatic "...a larger TM will at some point take longer to search, but it's so hardware and content dependent, I couldn't pick a particular number.  I think the best we can say is that if a given user is finding that their TM of whatever size is becoming slow to use or maintain, they might consider splitting it. Nothing else to add, really!"

So if you have already done this and still experience problems then we would have to look at your files as I said.

6. This means that there really is no reason why my instance of Trados is not working properly, as I did all you recommended to me by now, without improvement.

I don't know how you can draw this conclusion at all with such a small amount of investigation.  There are plenty of things that could at fault and if you don't allow us to investigate this properly we'll never get to the bottom of it.

As for your other comments related to the takeover by RWS and the future of the Freelance Edition.  I guess you are influenced by your problems because this is nonsense.  Trados Studio is central to our plans going forward and anything we do to make more modern solutions available to those customer who want them will not be done in isolation.  Bringing Trados Studio along has to happen.  The desktop tools offer so much that is not possible with the cloud solution at all, and if you can't see that I'll probably never convince you and won't try either.

I have no idea why my letter makes you sad.  I was trying to be honest and practical with you based on my understanding of what the support team reported to me.  I also offered to help.  I think less worrying about a problem that doesn't even exist and more focus on being willing to look at this practically would be better.  Trados Studio is not going anywhere.

emoji
  • Paul,

I truly appreciate your willingness and effort to help me under the circumstances. Never for a moment doubt that. I always feel you truly are motivated to help. How to go forward though?

Where we are at the moment: I have already reset Studio, as per team advice, and recovered most of the old functionalities. In additon, as I already mentioned, I cannot give you my proprietary TMs freely, without a proper non-disclosure undertaking, which I maintain towards my clients, towards which I have signed non-disclosure undertakings, and for myself as well. As you may understand, operating in a niche language and a niche expertise makes my TMs truly valuable and potentially unique. They should never be at risk of entering the public domain.

Please advise.

emoji
  • Hi Shmuel,

We can provide an NDA to protect us both if this would make it possible for you to share your files and project and then we could take a proper look at the problem.  In practice your TM would not be entering the public domain, it would remain with our support team.  It is also of no value to us, not even to our language services colleagues.  We would need to spend time QA'ing it (even though I'm sure it's good) before we'd even think about using it ourselves... and in reality this would never happen.  I think our services teams have enough work of their own!!

emoji