Agency docked 50% of agreed price on discovering use of SDL Language Cloud after delivery

I just delivered a translation for which I used SDL Language Cloud to provide me with a first-draft rough translation which I then carefully checked and edited segment by segment to create “my” translation.

Following delivery, the agency cancelled the original purchase order and issued a second one for 50% of the previously agreed price, arguing that I had delivered a machine translation (MT) which they cannot justify vis-à-vis their client.

The agency refuses to accept my argument that I used MT merely as a (legitimate) productivity tool to provide me with a rough skeleton as a starting point for my work.

I would be interested in finding out whether other colleagues out there share my opinion that it is for me as a translator to decide which tools I use, and whether they have encountered similar problems.

I would also be interested in the standpoint of RWS on this issue. I certainly haven’t seen any warnings about being penalised for using the software.

emoji