Cannot create new Termbase in Multiterm

Hi everyone,

I am new to Trados Studio and Multiterm.  I tried to create a new Termbase in Multiterm for several time but the message "Multiterm is unable to create the termbase. Not a vaild name" popped up.

May I ask how to solve this problem? 

regards

Jennifer 

emoji
  •  

Try creating it in a folder where you don't use OneDrive at all?  You still have not provided the full path so we can see where you are instructing MultiTerm to create the termbase.  Can you provide that?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Jennifer, "New Termbase" (that is, "New Termbase.sdltb") is the default name when creating a termbase. You can keep it like that or use a name to your liking. Question: if your computer OS is in Chinese, do you mean to say that "New Termbase" is written in Chinese characters? In English? Please, clarify.

Regarding your computer OS in Chinese, the issue about your inability to create a new termbase may be due to how Windows handles the name of your termbase. First of all, there are forbidden characters when naming a file or a folder, these include <, >, :, /, \, |, ?, ", and *. Obviously, in a PC in Chinese, Windows will replace these characters accordingly with different Unicode characters to ensure file name compatibility.

I will surmise that the regional settings you are using in your PC are set to use a non-Unicode code page, such as GBK (also known as GB2312 or CP936), which can lead to issues with file naming and character representation.

To solve these issues with GBK in Windows, you can try changing the code page to a Unicode-compatible setting:

1. Go to **Control Panel** > **Region and Language**
    2. Click on **Change date, time, or number format** (or equivalent)
    3. Select **Unicode** as the default language
    4. Restart your system.

Summarizing, your problem is related to whether the character encoding in your PC is based on GBK or on Unicode. (my guess).

On the other hand, whether using OneDrive (or Google Drive) or not, does not make any difference.

emoji