Translation Memory Search in SDL Managed Translation

Dear Community,

I'm Remy Jacobi and I'm part of the user experience design team, responsible for the user experience around everything translation management. In this function, I regularly engage with our customers and users to better understand their day to day tasks and problems. This ongoing research allows me to design relevant and delightful user interfaces and experiences.

We’re constantly looking for ways to improve the user’s experience in Managed Translation and deliver new features that are being requested by our customers.

One feature we are regularly asked about is the ability to perform a search against a Translation Memory in Managed Translation. Translation Memories help promote quality and consistency, whilst reducing costs and turnaround times for translation projects.

The Translation Memory Search feature will allow users to browse the contents of their translation memory(s) in order to:

• Look for segments that are already present in a Translation Memory
  • Adapt the source content according to segments already present in a Translation Memory
  • Identify budgetary project costs
  • Determine the language(s) in which segments have been previously localised 

Provided below is a mock-up to help visualise how this feature will be presented in Managed Translation. In the left side of the mock-up, the user is checking to see if the segment: “Insert the cartridge in the left socket of the printer’s box” is already present in one of their Translation Memories. On the right side, a list of results is populated from highest match to lowest.

Exact match implies the segment was found in the translation memory without any penalties having been applied. Matches can be penalised based on a number of factors (text changes, order of words, punctuation, formatting, etc.) Penalties can also be applied at the Translation Memory level, where it contains legacy content for example. Both types of penalties are taken into account in the search results returned by the Translation Memory Search feature.

Would the Translation Memory search be a useful feature for you?

Do you find it easy to understand/read the below mock-up?

We’d appreciate any feedback or comments as to how the Translation Memory Search feature would benefit your organisation along with any suggestions on the proposed mock-ups included in this Community post. :)

Rémy Jacobi - User Experience Designer at SDL

Parents Reply Children
No Data