Can project managers group projects so that they can be handled as one project by the translator instead of dealing with a large number of small projects?

I'm asking as I have to download and upload like 35 projects, opening each one of them manually in Studio and creating return packages for each one individually. I waste a lot of time on this.

Added a word.
[edited by: André Stryger at 3:06 PM (GMT 1) on 11 Oct 2023]
emoji
Parents
  • Hello André,

it is not possible to group multiple projects into one single WSXZ package. This feature does not exist in WorldServer. The reason for this is that each exported WSXZ package contains data that is specific to that project, like TM(s), file type, Term Database and other metadata.

In theory, you could apply a workaround outside of WorldServer by extracting each of the 35 WSXZ packages. A WSXZ package is basically a ZIP file. After extracting them, copy the sdlxliff files from the package to a separate folder and open them individually in Studio as a Batch, or create a Studio project. Then add the TMX files to it if you want to leverage from the TM.

It is possible that by doing so you might get errors when trying to save the bilingual SDLXLIFF files as target. Note: Saving as target is a very important last check/step before creating a Return package and it should always be done. If you receive an error when creating a target file, it could be because the reference to the file type - which is present in the original package - might be missing. It really depends on the type of projects you handle, where they come from, which file type they use etc.

If you follow the process above and all works fine and you have no errors when saving each sdlxliff file as a target in Studio at the end of your translation, in theory, you could group all the SDLXLIFF files that you have translated in one folder, zip them, rename the ZIP file to WSXZ to create a Return package and upload it. It does not matter from which project/tasks page you upload it. When importing the WSXZ Return package, WorldServer always checks the content of the SDLXLIFF files to find out to which project they belong. It imports the translation from each SDLXLIFF file into the respective project and it also performs a "Save" where it generates a target file. It is very important to monitor your import/upload (no background imports, monitor the import details) and make sure that there are no errors during the import. If there are errors, you need to check which SDLXIFF file causes it, fix the error in the specific SDLXLIFF in Studio and then upload again.

The ZIP file/WSXZ should contain only the SDLXLIFF files, no subfolder. A WorldServer Return package always contains only the translated bilingual files. It contains no TM, filter types etc. So it is basically a ZIP file with SDLXLIFF files in it. This article explains the difference between an export WSXZ package and a Return package:

gateway.sdl.com/.../communityknowledge

From a product point of view, we recommend sticking to the normal process of opening each WSXZ package separately. But if you want to try the process above, you can do so but at your own risk. We have several users applying it successfully. However, they do so for similar projects created with the same type of source files/file types etc.

I hope this helps you.

Caterina

emoji
  • Hello and thank you for your answer. I know that as a recipient of World Server projects I can't group the jobs. But can the project manager who creates the jobs group them before sending them out? Currently I'm already creating my own single project in Studio, but it's taking an awfully long time as I still have to open each single project one by one first before I can create my own single project. And afterwards I have to copy my finished files into the original individual projects, one by one, and then create return files, again one by one. I'm wasting so much time on this non-linguistic adminintration. That's why I asked the question.

emoji
  • A project creator (it could be a project manager or any other user) can of course decide to group" multiple files in one project rather than creating multiple projects with - let's say - one file. This is a project management topic that you should discuss with the person/PM who sends you the packages or creates the projects. From a technical and WorldServer product point of view, there is no such feature that "groups" multiple, existing projects in one.

emoji
  • I can't see the interface that the project creator sees, but I suspect that World Server isn't making it easy to create a project that has sub-projects, so that the integrity of the smaller projects (usually 1 file, some really small) is kept intact. Besides there is a long way to the person who creates the project. I don't even know who they are on the client side, as this goes through an agency. So it's very unlikely that I in any way would be able to influence what this project creator does. All in all, the situation is not satisfactory, as I'm wasting so much time.

emoji
Reply Children
No Data