How to customize Content Manager Web UI properly?

Hello All,

I have some questions about customizing the Content Manager web UI (v13 SP2). We used to do this by editing OOTB ASP files. These customizations include: removing certain buttons (like new version or new branch) from top/version/language button bars based on user role, adding custom javaScript field validations, adding or removing fields from Create/Update dialogues. This proved to be really cumbersome, because with each upgrade we had to re-implement these changes if the particular ASP file was changed in the next version.
I am currently experimenting with the MetadataConfig.xml approach, but unfortunately it does not seem to cover everything that we need.

• Is there another, less "hacky" way to implement such changes on the web UI?

I would appreciate any guidance in the matter. Thank You in advance!

Parents
  • Hi Gergo,

Along the way - final straight on releasing 14SP2 now - we moved a lot out of the mixed files (meaning layout, business logic, security/pentesting, configuration in one ClassicAsp file) into configuration. The things you mention like buttons (new version, etc) were already in xml configuration files from the start.

Furthermore, historically, it is not because it was "a text file" (like classic *.asp) that it was always considered an extension point moving into different technology, UX paradigms, etc

So my ask, if I may, is describe the use case of what you are trying to achieve?

1. So you write "custom javaScript field validations" ... can you describe what kind of validation you are missing?
    2. You wrote "adding or removing fields from Create/Update dialogues", this can be done over metadataconfig.xml and can be controlled across new/newversion/update dimension, application (like client tools or web client etc) through ishconditions

So in short, what do you need exactly? And preferably you post these on the Community Ideas section so you can get your peers to enrich and confirm your ideas.

Truly appreciated,
    Dave

• Hi Gergo,

Along the way - final straight on releasing 14SP2 now - we moved a lot out of the mixed files (meaning layout, business logic, security/pentesting, configuration in one ClassicAsp file) into configuration. The things you mention like buttons (new version, etc) were already in xml configuration files from the start.

Furthermore, historically, it is not because it was "a text file" (like classic *.asp) that it was always considered an extension point moving into different technology, UX paradigms, etc

So my ask, if I may, is describe the use case of what you are trying to achieve?

1. So you write "custom javaScript field validations" ... can you describe what kind of validation you are missing?
    2. You wrote "adding or removing fields from Create/Update dialogues", this can be done over metadataconfig.xml and can be controlled across new/newversion/update dimension, application (like client tools or web client etc) through ishconditions

So in short, what do you need exactly? And preferably you post these on the Community Ideas section so you can get your peers to enrich and confirm your ideas.

Truly appreciated,
    Dave

Children
No Data