TD14SP1: Content Importer command line fails; examples need more clarity

Hi. I'm unable to import seemingly-valid content, and as part of reducing steps to repeat running Content Importer, I was pleased to find a command line version exists. But I can't get it working, right from the start.

Documentation reference: https://docs.sdl.com/796504/698806/sdl-tridion-docs-14-sp2/contentimporter-run

This is the test.config file I made based on the help topic:

<importJob>

<connectionId>foo.bar.com/.../connectionId>

<!-- actionType options could be convert-and-import, import, and import-translation; example file used ConvertAndImport -->
  <actionType>Import</actionType>

<!-- Relevant to all types of import. Should only have one type of content, e.g. maps but not topics. If req'd, create one subfolder per content type. -->
  <inputPath>C:\Users\me\Desktop\input</inputPath>

<!-- Relevant to all types of import. Target folder in repository. If subfolders exist in source folder, appropriate subfolders are made in target folder. -->
  <repositoryPath>General/Manuals/MyImport/Topics</repositoryPath>

<defaultLanguage>
    <value>VLANGUAGEEN</value>
    <label>en</label>
    <description>English</description>
  </defaultLanguage>

<defaultRendition>
    <value>VRESLOW</value>
    <label>Low</label>
    <description />
  </defaultRendition>

</importJob>

1. Upon running with "C:\Program Files\SDL\Content Importer\14.0\ContentImporter.exe" run test.config:

Error loading job 'test.config'. The connection with the ID 'https://foo.bar.com/ISHWS' cannot be found.

I can absolutely guarantee my connection to https://foo.bar.com/ISHWS is valid and accessible. It fails in the same manner with all the combinations of foo.bar.com/ISHWS, foo.bar.com/.../ishws, etc.

2. The actionType value in the example does not match the list of command line arguments in the parent topic, which is the closest thing I can find to an actual listing of values. The help option doesn't provide any valid list of values.

I'll no doubt have many more questions if I have to do this with Standard Import, but right now I want to get this working on Without Conversion.

Thanks!

Neman

Parents
  • Okay! Got it, thanks to help from Frank G in support! This is the syntax of the connectionId:

<connectionId>UserName:DocsUserName@DocsBaseURL/ishws/infoshareauthor</connectionId>

It's not a function of SSO vs. local accounts; I misinterpreted foo.bar in the documentation example as my user's domain, but it's actually the Docs machine's base URL. This works for me:

User ID: Neman Syed

Docs URL: https://ccms.company.com/ISHCM

Docs Base URL: ccms.company.com

Working Connection ID: <connectionId>UserName:Neman Syed@ccms.company.com/infoshareauthor</connectionId>

I just completed a command line import. Here's my command line (I'm using the 14SP2 client against a 14SP2 server):

"C:\Program Files\SDL\Content Importer\14.0\ContentImporter.exe" run "C:\Users\NemanSyed\Desktop\ContentImporterParameters.config"

Here's the content of my working ContentImporterParameters.config (the actual filename is irrelevant):

<importJob>

<!-- UserName is a combination of your Docs user ID @ your Docs URL -->
    <connectionId>UserName:Neman Syed@ccms.company.com/ishws/infoshareauthor</connectionId>

<!-- actionType options could be convert-and-import, import, and import-translation; example file used ConvertAndImport, we typically use Without Conversion, so Import -->

<!-- Relevant to all types of import. Should only have one type of content, e.g. maps but not topics. If req'd, create one subfolder per content type. No trailing slash. -->
    <inputPath>C:\Users\Infoshare\Desktop\NewMaps</inputPath>

<!-- Relevant to all types of import. Target folder must exist in repository and be of the correct type. If subfolders exist in source folder, appropriate subfolders are made in target folder. No leading slash. -->
    <repositoryPath>General/Imports/2021-05-11</repositoryPath>

<!-- Explicitly set for Standard Import (convert-and-import). Seems implicit for Without Conversion (import). -->
    <waitAfterConversion>false</waitAfterConversion>

<!-- Required for Standard Import (convert-and-import). Probably not relevant for Without Conversion (import). -->
    <!-- <defaultLanguage>
    <label>en</label>
    </defaultLanguage> -->

<!-- Required for Standard Import (convert-and-import). Probably not relevant for Without Conversion (import). -->
    <!-- <defaultRendition>
    <value>VRESLOW</value>
    <label>Low</label>
    <description/>
    </defaultRendition> -->

<!-- Required for Standard Import (convert-and-import). Seems implicit for Without Conversion (import). -->
    <reassignIds>false</reassignIds>

<!-- Required for Standard Import (convert-and-import). Seems implicit for Without Conversion (import). -->
    <useFileNames>false</useFileNames>

</importJob>

Here's a super-handy tip: Perform any import, using the GUI. Then go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SDL\InfoShare Client\14.0\Imports. You'll find some number-named files without extensions, like -5552240 or 2018527048. Open one in a text editor. There's the config file created by the Content Importer GUI to run the job you just did.

Hope it helps!

• Okay! Got it, thanks to help from Frank G in support! This is the syntax of the connectionId:

<connectionId>UserName:DocsUserName@DocsBaseURL/ishws/infoshareauthor</connectionId>

It's not a function of SSO vs. local accounts; I misinterpreted foo.bar in the documentation example as my user's domain, but it's actually the Docs machine's base URL. This works for me:

User ID: Neman Syed

Docs URL: https://ccms.company.com/ISHCM

Docs Base URL: ccms.company.com

Working Connection ID: <connectionId>UserName:Neman Syed@ccms.company.com/infoshareauthor</connectionId>

I just completed a command line import. Here's my command line (I'm using the 14SP2 client against a 14SP2 server):

"C:\Program Files\SDL\Content Importer\14.0\ContentImporter.exe" run "C:\Users\NemanSyed\Desktop\ContentImporterParameters.config"

Here's the content of my working ContentImporterParameters.config (the actual filename is irrelevant):

<importJob>

<!-- UserName is a combination of your Docs user ID @ your Docs URL -->
    <connectionId>UserName:Neman Syed@ccms.company.com/ishws/infoshareauthor</connectionId>

<!-- actionType options could be convert-and-import, import, and import-translation; example file used ConvertAndImport, we typically use Without Conversion, so Import -->

<!-- Relevant to all types of import. Should only have one type of content, e.g. maps but not topics. If req'd, create one subfolder per content type. No trailing slash. -->
    <inputPath>C:\Users\Infoshare\Desktop\NewMaps</inputPath>

<!-- Relevant to all types of import. Target folder must exist in repository and be of the correct type. If subfolders exist in source folder, appropriate subfolders are made in target folder. No leading slash. -->
    <repositoryPath>General/Imports/2021-05-11</repositoryPath>

<!-- Explicitly set for Standard Import (convert-and-import). Seems implicit for Without Conversion (import). -->
    <waitAfterConversion>false</waitAfterConversion>

<!-- <defaultLanguage>
    <label>en</label>
    </defaultLanguage> -->

<!-- <defaultRendition>
    <value>VRESLOW</value>
    <label>Low</label>
    <description/>
    </defaultRendition> -->

<reassignIds>false</reassignIds>

<useFileNames>false</useFileNames>

</importJob>

Here's a super-handy tip: Perform any import, using the GUI. Then go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SDL\InfoShare Client\14.0\Imports. You'll find some number-named files without extensions, like -5552240 or 2018527048. Open one in a text editor. There's the config file created by the Content Importer GUI to run the job you just did.

Hope it helps!

Children
No Data