How can I delete objects that have no version?

I have a few very old library topics that have lost their versions (!), so I would like to delete them. Not so easy. I am not permitted to make a new version since the object is invalid. I cannot delete it, because it is referenced from somewhere. I cannot open it to see where it is used, and when I search for the GUID in question I don't find anything. Tips, someone?

emoji
Parents
  • Hi Ragnar,

Tridion Docs has link validation as a first class citizen. This up to the point that people get stuck in a situation like yours because they remove versions/languages but the logical entry is still there as it is referenced and potentially required by other content objects. What required means depends on your setup and product version - for example while drafting publications (work-in-progress) behavior is different compared to frozen/released publication outputs.

For what it is worth the Web Client (ISHCM) user interface is more native in addressing this logical-version-language hierarchy. The client tools - like Publication Manager - flatten it more out and give you no search results for example.

1. In the Web Client you should be able to run to select the logical entry (the GUID) object (repository-top-right-view). Perhaps you have that GUID and you can go to SearchLocate which will get you here.
    2. Top button bar holds a Report button, where you can find out what this object references or who references it.The latter Referenced by report is what will tell you who is still blocking your delete.

If you really want to clean it up, then you need to break the hierarchy. Than I advise you to remove the links from the content objects that point to the object you want to hard-delete from the repository - this could be recursively as your library topic is referenced by a topic and your topic is referenced by a map and your map is referenced by a publication. Some customers just push those orphans into some parking-lot folder - out of sight.

Hope this helps somewhat,
    Dave

emoji
  • Thanks a lot Dave, that actually helped a lot. The "Report" function allowed me to find the two topics in which the library was referenced. I fixed those, and the problem was solved.

emoji
Reply Children
No Data